You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-07 10:23:01

couling

What can an upstream author do to maintain a downstream AUR?

A while ago someone raised an issue on my github project regarding a bug when compiled for Archlinux.  They'd created an AUR for it (here https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/webdav-daemon/ ).

In the AUR the'd already added a patch to correct another bug which wasn't reported but has since been fixed.  So now the AUR will simply not build because the patch can't be applied.

Since someone's already put the effort into creating the AUR I'd like to ensure it actually builds, but as an Archlinux newby I don't see any obvious way for me to modify the AUR.  That is, I know what the fix is, but don't have any access to correct the AUR.

#2 2021-06-07 10:26:25

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: What can an upstream author do to maintain a downstream AUR?

If you don't own the PKGBUILD, or co-maintain it, you cannot.  Try leaving a comment or directly emailing the maintainer.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2021-06-07 10:31:47

progandy

If the maintainer does not react to email or comment, then you can send an orphan request and take over maintainership.

By the way, the package has the wrong name, it should have a -git suffix since it builds from a git branch. That means one of you should upload the package with the corrected name and then request a merge/delete of the old package.

Last edited by progandy (2021-06-07 10:36:32)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2021-06-07 10:40:47

couling

graysky wrote:

If you don't own the PKGBUILD, or co-maintain it, you cannot.  Try leaving a comment or directly emailing the maintainer.

I'll do that. Thanks.

Preemptively I'll also ask if there's no administrative recourse should the maintainer fail to respond?  It would be a shame if users could block packages from being in AUR (under their own name) by simply creating broken AURs.

#5 2021-06-07 10:43:17

couling

progandy wrote:

If the maintainer does not react to email or comment, then you can send an orphan request and take over maintainership.

By the way, the package has the wrong name, it should have a -git suffix since it builds from a git branch. That means one of you should upload the package with the corrected name and then request a merge/delete of the old package.

Ah Thanks.  That answers my question.

#6 2021-06-07 19:18:15

PeterBB

I suggest flagging the package as 'out-of-date'

#7 2021-06-09 23:02:51

Stefan Husmann

No, "out of date" is for packages that are, as the name suggests, out of date - not for buggy packages.

#8 2021-06-10 00:09:34

eschwartz
Fellow

Yes, "out of date" is for packages that are, as the name suggests, out of date - like git packages building from git master, which no longer build because the current PKGBUILD used to be correct, but isn't correct anymore after new upstream commits.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer