You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-07 16:27:01

ziltoid

Best way to switch from plasma to plasma-desktop?

The first time I installed Arch I installed the full plasma package group, but considering I don't use the majority of the programs contained in it I want to switch to the minimal version of kde plasma, which is plasma-desktop, and also retain some plasma program I use.
My idea was to find the packages shared between plasma and plasma-desktop and remove the different ones but I could not find the package list for plasma-desktop using pacman -Si or pacman -Sg.
What is the best way to do so without breaking my DE?

#2 2021-06-07 16:36:58

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Best way to switch from plasma to plasma-desktop?

plasma is the group of plasma packages, plasma-desktop is the actual package containing the plasma-desktop and it is part of the plasma group. The "difference" between the two would be everything that isn't a direct dependency of plasma-desktop.

So the fastest way to switch would be to simply remove everything that isn't plasma-desktop. However the plasma group is already relatively minimal and doesn't contain many "real" applications, maybe you want to better define what exactly you are trying to strip down and why.

Last edited by V1del (2021-06-07 16:40:27)

#3 2021-06-07 19:44:16

ziltoid

Re: Best way to switch from plasma to plasma-desktop?

Thank you for the clarification. I confused the plasma group with the kde-applications group, which is the real thing I need to trim.

Board footer