You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-09 16:54:04

sojot

[solved] hard disk not detected after new installation

Hi,

I tried a new installation on a cheap HP laptop (first tried it on a VM which all worked fine)  (wiped everything off the SSD and I'm trying to do a Linux only install)

Everything seemed to be going fine,  live boot recognized my SSD hard drive as nvme0n1.  I created the UEFI partition and installed GRUG and UEFI components on it etc.

when I try to boot into my new installation though it complains about UUID=XXXX not found.  I checked and that UUID does in fact correspond with the / partition in the FSTAB file that I generated
when I look in /dev it doesn't see any hard drives whatsoever.

I have read something about problems with raid mode, so I had a quick look in the bios settings but can't find much other than it saying Status: Non-Raid (but it seems strange to me as again the liveboot has no problems detecting the drive)

sorry I know that I'm not providing much information, but i don't know where to start as it drops in this emergency shell which doesn't seem to give my much options, would anyone be able to give me some pointers where to look

Last edited by sojot (2021-06-10 13:12:50)

#2 2021-06-09 19:23:52

captain_sensible

Re: [solved] hard disk not detected after new installation

in the emergency shell what output do you get with:

sudo blkid

#3 2021-06-10 00:54:38

V1del
Forum Moderator

If it is the issue with RAID then the live boot works because it can load the relevant module, in which case you'd need to add MODULES=( vmd ) line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and regenerate your images with mkinitcpio -P from the chroot.

#4 2021-06-10 09:30:41

sojot

captain_sensible wrote:

in the emergency shell what output do you get with:

sudo blkid

it doesn't return anything (unless it has the liveboot USB connected, in which case it shows that as /dev/sda).

So its able to detect USB block devices without issues, just not the SSD

#5 2021-06-10 10:06:44

sojot

V1del wrote:

If it is the issue with RAID then the live boot works because it can load the relevant module, in which case you'd need to add MODULES=( vmd ) line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and regenerate your images with mkinitcpio -P from the chroot.

thanks that sorted it in one go :-) feel especially stupid now as I did see this mentioned in some other thread on here and I thought I had tried that already, but clearly,  I hadn't

Last edited by sojot (2021-06-10 10:07:00)

#6 2021-06-10 13:07:19

seth

Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Board footer