You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-10 13:40:25

GrimBandito

[SOLVED] KDE Plasma wallpaper vanishing

Got a bit of a mystery on my hands wondering if anybody could shed light on what is going on.

I did a fresh install of the KDE Plasma desktop yesterday, installed a few apps and configured the desktop themes etc and shutdown the pc. Later on I turned the pc back on and booted it up to find that not only had the desktop wallpaper been changed but the wallpaper I had setup had been deleted and no longer existed on the drive.

The wallpaper I am talking about is the default wallpaper that gets used when you first install KDE Plasma, I'm sorry I forget the name of it. I also checked in the folder "/usr/share/wallpapers" and is how I discovered it had vanished.

I investigated the "configure desktop and wallpaper" interface to see if I had accidentality deleted it myself but I found out you can't delete the default wallpapers in the interface only custom wallpapers you add by hand.

I also reinstalled the package "plasma-workspace-wallpapers" thinking this is where the wallpaper is installed from and reinstalling will put it back, but no luck there either.

Is this mystery of disappearing wallpapers a known bug? What can be causing this and can anybody direct me to how to get the default stock wallpaper back?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GrimBandito (2021-06-10 14:21:19)

#2 2021-06-10 13:57:04

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] KDE Plasma wallpaper vanishing

Did you do an update while in the plasma session? Plasma got a  release to the new 5.22 version which also replaced the older default wallpaper with the new version which they do every second plasma release. If you want explicitly the older wallpapers grab the older breeze package (might still be in your cache) and extract the images you want manually, from /usr/share/wallpapers/Next.

As far as I know the older ones should usually land in the wallpapers package eventually, maybe an oversight during the release of KDE  that this isn't the case?

Last edited by V1del (2021-06-10 14:11:07)

#3 2021-06-10 14:19:37

GrimBandito

Re: [SOLVED] KDE Plasma wallpaper vanishing

V1del wrote:

Did you do an update while in the plasma session? Plasma got a  release to the new 5.22 version which also replaced the older default wallpaper with the new version which they do every second plasma release. If you want explicitly the older wallpapers grab the older breeze package (might still be in your cache) and extract the images you want manually, from /usr/share/wallpapers/Next.

As far as I know the older ones should usually land in the wallpapers package eventually, maybe an oversight during the release of KDE  that this isn't the case?

Yes I'm sure I did update in session, and makes sense why the file would vanish. Will check the older package to try to retrieve the file again. Thanks @V1del for the speedy response.

Board footer