You are not logged in.

#76 2021-06-18 09:20:37

QUICKguils

Re: [SOLVED] Frequent freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk ..."

I have exactly the same laptop (Asus N752VX) with exactly the same problem (freeze at restart).

By reading dmesg output, I've noticed a BIOS firmware bug from quite a while, but I didn't expect that a DOWNGRADE to the oldest version would solve this issue!

Can you let me know how did you manage to downgrade the BIOS version ? When I try to downgrade with EZ-Flash utility from the BIOS, it fails and tells me
"Build date is too old!!".

#77 2021-06-18 11:19:29

Xwang

QUICKguils wrote:

I have exactly the same laptop (Asus N752VX) with exactly the same problem (freeze at restart).

By reading dmesg output, I've noticed a BIOS firmware bug from quite a while, but I didn't expect that a DOWNGRADE to the oldest version would solve this issue!

Can you let me know how did you manage to downgrade the BIOS version ? When I try to downgrade with EZ-Flash utility from the BIOS, it fails and tells me
"Build date is too old!!".

If I remember correctly I've run in windows the WinFlash utilty from a command window run as administrator adding the /nodate parameter as explained in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-NB2JkTCd8

I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

#78 2021-06-18 14:00:19

QUICKguils

Ah yes I got it. With WinFlash it works.
Thanks for you quick reply !! smile

#79 2021-06-18 14:34:06

Xwang

QUICKguils wrote:

Ah yes I got it. With WinFlash it works.
Thanks for you quick reply !! smile

You're welcome!
It's nice to know that someone else is using the n752vx with archlinux.

I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

#80 2023-06-29 01:22:20

jackinthebox

Hi OP, has the problem gone away as you expected after 2 years?
By the way, can upgrading to the latest bios firmware help as opposed to downgrading it? Let us know

#81 2023-06-30 18:26:18

Xwang

jackinthebox wrote:

By the way, can upgrading to the latest bios firmware help as opposed to downgrading it? Let us know

I've not changed anymore the bios version and I really doubt that there is any updated BIOS.
I didn't had the problem since the BIOS downgrade

#82 2023-07-05 08:55:11

jackinthebox

Xwang wrote:
jackinthebox wrote:

I've not changed anymore the bios version and I really doubt that there is any updated BIOS.
I didn't had the problem since the BIOS downgrade

Good for you!
Strange that an old kernel works and a new one doesn't. Maybe you should look at a newer version of BIOS.

Board footer