You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-25 03:24:22

PythonLinux

Installing Arch Linux on my laptop and expected issues

I suspect this may belong in the Newbie's corner but given that this is a laptop specific question I figured it belonged here.

I am a longtime fan of free, open-source software (eg. years ago I ditched MS Office for Libreoffice). Several years ago I dual-booted my computer with Ubuntu. About a year later the package manager broke and despite trying for awhile I couldn't fix it. (Shame that entire time I never fully learned how to utilize the terminal this time I will) Now I'm ready to give Linux a second go on my brand new laptop and this time I'm thinking of diving into the deep end with Arch Linux. (Dualboot cause I need Windows for one or two games 270soft games). I'm worried about compatibility and battery issues (and fan stuff) though so here's my system specs (it wasn't listed on the wiki for the laptops page so hence I ask here, yes I did look):

According to about my pc:

I have an HP Laptop 17-cn0xxx
My processor is a 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-1115G4 @ 3.00GHz   3.00 GHz
My RAM is 8.00 GB (7.67 GB usable)
It also has a preinstalled webcam and microphone (like most laptops these days) (I added this last bit if it wasn't clear)

What issues can I expect if I dive into the deep end with Arch Linux? (Kudos on your wiki btw it's quite neat)

#2 2021-06-25 03:34:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Installing Arch Linux on my laptop and expected issues

Likely, none. Generally speaking, its only the graphics card(s) that require additional consideration/configuration/packages. In any event, it only takes 5 minutes to load up the live medium and see for yourself.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2021-06-25 12:57:54

PythonLinux

Re: Installing Arch Linux on my laptop and expected issues

Thanks. Will come back here with any other questions.

Board footer