You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-28 15:27:46

nobby_trussin

Unclear fonts

Hi,

This problem is driving me mad. I'm using kde and archlinux (fully up to date as of 28/09/06) and in certain programs the fonts look awful. Certain webpages and some text documents look blurred and letters such as s seem to merge into one another. Does anyone know what this problem is or have any tips at all?

Xdpyinfo tells me my dpi is 96x96 and my XF86Config file contains these lines relating to fonts (i checked the Xorg log file which tells me they're all valid):-

RgbPath         "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath     "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
    #FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/speedo"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/artwiz-fonts"

I tried blanking out the 75 dpi fonts just in case it was using them for some reason but it made no difference.

can anyone help. please smile

thanks

Dan[/img]

#2 2006-09-29 01:35:39

Gullible Jones

Re: Unclear fonts

Uninstall the 75 DPI and 100 DPI fonts (xorg-fonts 75dpi and xorg-fonts-100dpi), those are terrible. For the webpages, try installing ttf-ms-fonts (they're used by default) or ttf-dejavu (you have to set your browser to use them).

#3 2006-09-29 11:39:08

Leffe

nobby_trussin wrote:

RgbPath         "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath     "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
    #FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/speedo"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/artwiz-fonts"

The FontPath lines aren't used unless you are using legacy X applications that don't use fontconfig/freetype.  The ModulePath is redundant, and the RgbPath... did I try to remove it or not?  I still have it, hmm, I wonder what it is used for.

What you want to check is your fontconfig seettings, man fonts-conf will help. I use antialiasing, no hinting, and no subpixel rendering for my 19" CRT at 1600x1200 and I find it most readable.

You need good fonts as well of course.

#4 2006-10-02 10:48:58

nobby_trussin

Thanks for your replies.

I uninstalled the 75 and 100 dpi fonts packages which didn't seem to make a difference but I set firefox to not allow packages to choose their own fonts and its made a huge difference. So i'm now using ms-fonts like verdana - nice and clear.

Still kind of bothers me that webpages can't choose their own fonts but hey i'm a perfectionist smile

Thanks again

Dan

Board footer