You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-03 15:04:57

protobio

[SOLVED] RStudio (rstudio-desktop-bin)

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to formally offer my greetings to the whole Arch Linux community. I used Linux for around a year and a half, and a few days ago transited into Arch Linux (I installed the July release). So far, it has been a great learning experience. And, I am planning to use my Arch Linux installation as a daily driver.

I installed the default KDE Plasma DE with the default wayland installation (pardon if my terminology is wrong as I am very new to the Arch ecosystem, and still relatively new to Linux in general). I also installed sddm. I was able to install the majority of my required software, however, I am facing a problem while trying to make RStudio work. R 4.1 is already installed in the system. I tried installing the major RStudio versions from AUR (i.e. rstudio-desktop-bin). I have not been able to make it work. I haven't got any response from the rstudio-desktop-bin installation. The RStudio from the installed application doesn't give any response when I try to open it from the applications. I am not very proficient but I did edit the .Renviron and set the R_LIBS_USER in ~/.Renviron and directed it to my R installation's folder. However, there is still no response from the RStudio installation.
This is my .Renviron where R_LIBS is:

R_LIBS_USER=${R_LIBS_USER-'~/home/hades/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.1'}
#R_LIBS_USER=${R_LIBS_USER-'~/Library/R//4.1/library'}

I am dual booting the machine with the original Windows that came with the machine. I am using an HP Pavillion notebook with 4th gen i5 4200U with 8 GB of RAM and a mobile GeForce GT740M. I have 2 SSDs installed on my system where, the "/dev/sda" is my Windows (that came with the laptop which I cloned into this SSD from an original HDD) drive and /dev/sdb is my primary Linux installation. The Linux installation in my /dev/sdb is a 250GB Samsung SSD. I have installed the Linux in a 75GB root drive while my home is 141GB partition. I have 512MB of EFI partition and a 16GB swap.

Please help.

Best wishes,
Protobio

Last edited by protobio (2021-07-04 07:08:07)

#2 2021-07-03 15:12:30

protobio

Re: [SOLVED] RStudio (rstudio-desktop-bin)

Here is the terminal result when tried running from the terminal:

[hades@archlinux ~]$ rstudio-bin
Failed to load client buffer integration: wayland-egl

WebEngineContext used before QtWebEngine::initialize() or OpenGL context creation failed.
qt.qpa.wayland: No shell integration named "xdg-shell" found
qt.qpa.wayland: No shell integration named "xdg-shell-v6" found
qt.qpa.wayland: No shell integration named "wl-shell" found
qt.qpa.wayland: No shell integration named "ivi-shell" found
qt.qpa.wayland: Loading shell integration failed.
qt.qpa.wayland: Attempted to load the following shells ("xdg-shell", "xdg-shell-v6", "wl-shell", "ivi-shell")
qt.qpa.wayland: Wayland does not support QWindow::requestActivate()

#3 2021-07-03 16:17:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I don't believe the -bin package can run on wayland as it includes it's own qt libraries targeting Xorg.

You could try the following:

export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb
rstudio-bin

Last edited by Trilby (2021-07-03 16:18:07)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2021-07-03 18:39:26

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: moving to AUR Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2021-07-04 07:06:00

protobio

Thank you people for the replies. The issue was due to wayland. I was able to run RStudio without a problem once I logged in using X11. So, as pointed out by Trilby, it could not run on wayland. Thank you Trilby for your inputs.

Best wishes,
Protobio

#6 2021-07-04 12:39:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It should be able to run within a wayland session.  You don't need to "log in" using X11, just setting the environment variable in my last post should be sufficient.  And if that works, there's likely a command line flag for the same effect.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2021-07-05 04:40:43

protobio

Trilby wrote:

It should be able to run within a wayland session.  You don't need to "log in" using X11, just setting the environment variable in my last post should be sufficient.  And if that works, there's likely a command line flag for the same effect.

Thank you so much. That also worked. The query is solved.

Best,
Protobio

Board footer