You are not logged in.

#51 2017-04-16 01:01:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Aurphan: Adopt Today!

Broken?  No, it probably never existed.  You do realize this is a 7 year old thread for a project for which the most recent code I can find is over 3 years old.  That would be pre-aur4.  I would not expect a pre-aur4 tool to work particularly well with the aur now.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#52 2017-04-16 04:26:53

NuSkool

This sounded pretty cool so after checking into it, I installed it. Trilby, did you know it's available in the community repo? It does say it's been 3+ years since last update.

(p is aliased to sudo pacman on this system)

$ p -Ss aurphan
community/aurphan 20140212-1
    Finds packages in need of maintainers, bug fixes and patches. Adopt today!

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm … y/aurphan/

hashhar wrote:

Is the AUR function broken?

man aurphan wrote:

DESCRIPTION
     aurphan finds ways for you to personally contribute to Arch.  All options produce a list of packages that need help, but only if you
     have them installed.

Out of date packages are highlighted red.

It works for me as expected.

$ aurphan -a
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/grub-legacy/ 	84 votes                (in green)
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/screenlets/ 	0 votes                       (in red)
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/screenlets-pack-basic/ 	0 votes       (in green)

Last edited by NuSkool (2017-04-16 04:34:15)

#53 2017-04-16 13:22:10

hashhar
Website

man aurphan wrote:

DESCRIPTION
     aurphan finds ways for you to personally contribute to Arch.  All options produce a list of packages that need help, but only if you
     have them installed.

Out of date packages are highlighted red.

I am so clumsy. I read over the fact that it only considers installed packages. I don't even have that many AUR packages installed.

#54 2021-07-08 18:18:04

captain_sensible

I have had a look at pkgs using Orphans button ; if you follow through to upstream of source the reason mostly they are Orphaned is that the developers of the source stopped developing and thus Arch Aur maintainers likely then also lost interest and stopped maintaining . All it needs is someone with a machete to go through the list and remove packages that are never going to be maintained by anyone ever with all their  marbles    intact, unless they have the ability to also take on the development of the source code

#55 2021-07-08 18:26:06

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

captain_sensible wrote:

All it needs is someone with a machete to go through the list and remove packages that are never going to be maintained by anyone ever

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Develo … leanup_Day

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#56 2021-07-10 10:35:42

captain_sensible

thanks Anarchist , i'm logged in on forum but it seems not recognized at that page you gave me a link to ; so a couple of noob questions if you can elaborate, please

it looks on the face of it that if i wanted to contribute i directly edit the page for candidate section , and would need to register in order to do that ?

#57 2021-07-10 19:46:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

captain_sensible wrote:

thanks Anarchist , i'm logged in on forum but it seems not recognized at that page you gave me a link to ; so a couple of noob questions if you can elaborate, please

it looks on the face of it that if i wanted to contribute i directly edit the page for candidate section , and would need to register in order to do that ?

Only staff can edit those pages. If you want to nominate candidates for cleanup, send an email to the AUR mailing list.

Also, logins for the forum and wiki are separate.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#58 2021-09-06 15:31:59

captain_sensible

ok i joined  the aur mailing list (this morning ) aur-requests@lists.archlinux.org

This is what  i sent this morning :

Re : https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/reflector-simple

I just joined mailing list - earlier i did try to post . In the settings it shows I should have got a copy of my post, but didn't indicating

something went wrong, there is a delay lock on authorizing my posts or something  else. Anyway trying again .

So reflector-simple is flagged out of date. The  PKGBUILD on the aur repo doesn't work, i've updated it, ran it and installed subsequent

reflector-simple-1.5-1-any.pkg.tar.zst that works and updates /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

So does current maintainer want to continue or is there "a vacancy"

cheers

a.r.b

Question : is that reasonable etiquette  or i'm supposed to approach it differently ?

#59 2021-09-06 15:47:27

ewaller
Administrator

I am not an admin on the mailing list, but I believe that first posts are vetted by a moderator before being released to the mailing list. 
I would recommend posting a comment to the AUR project page with your patch, and/or contact the maintainer by email.
If they do not respond to email, then there is a process you would have to go through.  A quick look failed to find a link, but lets cross that river when we get to it.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#60 2021-09-06 15:47:42

Slithery
Administrator

captain_sensible wrote:

Question : is that reasonable etiquette  or i'm supposed to approach it differently ?

You're supposed to file an orphan request...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_su … s#Requests

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#61 2021-09-06 15:49:00

ewaller
Administrator

^^^ There it is wink

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#62 2021-09-06 17:11:03

captain_sensible

thanks for replies. Well i created an aur.archlinux.org account   I went to        https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/reflector-simple/   at the bottom  of package options I didn't get option "adopt" only delete. I just went back there , now my name is coming up as maintainer.

ok i have seen option for orphan - i have submiited - lets see what happens

ps I just saw the quote

under Administrator.
Just thought i'd let you know that I talked to   James Turing  about education & ICt in Ghana , then met his mother  and brothers physically in Ghana.

I have to disappoint you in telling you that neither James Turing , or his brothers can code a jot , so Alan Turing must have been a one off !

Last edited by captain_sensible (2021-09-06 17:27:31)

Board footer