You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-27 12:01:41

shadichy

Why does archiso use syslinux and systemd-boot but not grub2?

I'm having trouble with creating custom arch linux remix distro
The problem is: archiso sometimes fails to create iso, sometimes works but cannot boot in uefi mode (Secure boot disabled)
I saw other arch linux distribution installer isos have grub but they're too epic that i cant read
Any ideas for the tool similar to archiso but uses grub2 instead?

#2 2021-06-27 22:07:40

qinohe

Re: Why does archiso use syslinux and systemd-boot but not grub2?

Hi, and welcome to Arch forum, If archiso fails to create your ISO you should assume something is wrong with your setup(the ISO one)
Your post is without information or error messages 'why' you ISO was not created.
LeafLeave the grub method and stick to syslinux/systemd (MBR/UEFI) for they work and does boot in UEFI mode with secure boot disabled using the latest archiso-git.
If you keep having trouble building the ISO I suggest to build in a 'chroot', systemd-nspawn would do a real fine job for this purpose, I use this method and it is a good way to spot 'hidden' trouble for it's separated from the system.

edit: leave, it's late...

Last edited by qinohe (2021-06-27 22:22:34)

#3 2021-07-12 11:43:08

shadichy

I've tested arch official installer iso, burned it to my usb, marked it as bootable, i turned off secure boot on my dell laptop, and booted it up with arch  usb, guess what? It didn't boot up, and then, i wondered, "why it must be syslinux and systemd-boot, why not Grub?" cuz grub supports nearly all filesystem existed, and other distros do use grub to create iso, so do you know that "why"?

#4 2021-07-12 12:05:41

nl6720
The Evil Wiki Admin

shadichy wrote:

marked it as bootable

Nothing in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/USB_fl … _and_UEFI) involves such a thing.

As for "why not GRUB", archiso used to support GRUB 1 a decade ago, but it as replaced with syslinux/isolinux. As for why it's still the case, then that's because all archiso maintainers since then have disliked GRUB.

#5 2021-07-12 13:06:21

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Question:

title wrote:

Why does archiso use syslinux ... but not grub2?

Answer:

shadichy wrote:

... other arch linux distribution installer isos have grub but they're too epic that i cant read

Was there another question?  Or was the real question seeking help with what you may be doing wrong in creating your iso?  If so, you may want to either start another thread, or edit the title to this one and post information actually relevant to solving that problem.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2021-08-08 05:33:00

shadichy

Official archlinux installer iso didnt boot up too (uefi)
A proof that shows u guys systemd sucks

Last edited by shadichy (2021-08-08 05:35:35)

#7 2021-08-08 06:18:04

Slithery
Administrator

shadichy wrote:

Official archlinux installer iso didnt boot up too (uefi)
A proof that shows u guys systemd sucks

Probably because you didn't write the image correctly.

Please read the Code of Conduct, especially https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … d-projects before posting again.

This is your first and only warning, any further infractions will earn you a ban.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer