You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-05 22:27:54

Driggly

TUXEDO InfinityBook S 15

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Tuxedo InfinityBook S 15.
I was looking around the wiki and didn't find anyone that had already installed Arch on these laptops.
Has anyone tried it yet? If so did it work out of the box or did you need to thinker with it a lot?

#2 2021-07-07 08:23:31

danielm

Re: TUXEDO InfinityBook S 15

Hi Driggly,

stumbled over your post when trying to find the same out. I'm currently having this S15v6 beside me und beeing not much sattified with the Ubuntu installation I've first set up on it.
What I can say before further testing, the automated installation of Manjaro Linux is not working from the WebFAI boot stick, with not recognizing the Latop as an Infinity Book.

I'll try installing Arch or any derivate the next days to check if it fits my needs better than Ubuntu (switched back from Arch to Ubuntu a year ago with my previous machine, because I got tired of those many updates every week ...).

Nevertheless, if I have more things to say I'll add it here.

-
Daniel

#3 2021-07-13 19:05:39

domohawk

According to this thread you should be able to get most(all?) Tuxedo functionality with the official repo packages tuxedo-keyboard and tuxedo-control-center. Tuxedo only supports the Manjar0 variant on the special S15 gen5.

Please report your experiences if you try those packages- I just bit the bullet to buy the gen6 and really hope I can get full use of backlight/function keys/fan control with them.

Last edited by domohawk (2021-07-13 19:22:53)

#4 2021-07-27 07:48:20

danielm

Finally I've installed and configured Manjaro on the S15v6. I've got nearly everything working, except the function keys for display brightness.
I've installed Manjaro from the offical image and later on added tuxedo-keyboard and tuxedo-control-center via pacman. In fact, some additional things can be done in advance, e.g. adding the tuxedo splash theme (https://canox.net/2019/07/arch-linux-au … pro-15-v4/).

But in the first weeks I'm happy with the new setup and got a good overall performance with Manjaro and XFCE.

domohawk wrote:

According to this thread you should be able to get most(all?) Tuxedo functionality with the official repo packages tuxedo-keyboard and tuxedo-control-center. Tuxedo only supports the Manjar0 variant on the special S15 gen5.

Please report your experiences if you try those packages- I just bit the bullet to buy the gen6 and really hope I can get full use of backlight/function keys/fan control with them.

As some addition: The control-center is working fine, like on Ubuntu on my previous installation.

Last edited by danielm (2021-07-27 07:50:44)

#5 2021-08-04 23:41:39

domohawk

So I got my S15 gen6 and finally got it working fully under Manjaro.

danielm, make sure you have your linux headers installed, or else the tuxedo-keyboard package will silently fail (install looks like it succeed but it does not actually load the dkms modules. You can check with `lsmod | grep tux` that it has tuxedo_io and tuxedo_keyboard). Before my display brightness Fn keys worked, but keyboard rgb did not. After installing linux510-headers and reinstalling tuxedo-keyboard and rebooting, the modules were loaded and I have full control of the color and brightness of my rgb keys (!).

Cool tip about the splash theme. I already customized my grub OS selection screen but was trying to figure out how to customize my LUKS decryption page, will give that web page a go.

Another note if you didn't find this already, the performance profiles are mislabeled in the BIOS, and the default one for me locked all cores to 0.9ghz. Check this thread for details but TL;DR the "Power saving" profile is actually the highest performance once.

Last edited by domohawk (2021-08-04 23:42:09)

#6 2021-08-18 15:48:51

sekret

Very probably I'll buy this laptop aswell next month. I'll install Arch on it. I'll join in with my findings, if there are any wink

#7 2021-08-19 11:49:00

Lone_Wolf

Keep in mind the later posts of OP suggest they've bought an acer aspire and the other responders don't use archlinux but manjaro .

The packages tuxedo-keyboard and tuxedo-control-center mentioned are not present in archlinux official repos, but they are in aur .

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=tuxedo

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#8 2021-08-19 19:30:05

domohawk

The tuxedo-keyboard, tuxedo-control-center, and bootsplash packages are also on the official tuxedo github. Installing tuxedo-keyboard that way was actually how I found my silent failure with the AUR package.

Last edited by domohawk (2021-08-19 19:37:36)

Board footer