You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-21 21:53:09

rochus

[SOLVED] bluetooth audio skipping every 18 seconds

Hi all,

When listening to audio or watching a video using a bluetooth headset (Sony WM-1000 XM3), I experience audio skipping every ~18 seconds. The computer is a Lenovo T14s AMD with firmware version 1.32, and the arch installation is up-to-date. I read through the wiki already about troubleshooting such kind of problems and tried everything I found there. From disabling btcoex over turning off the wifi module entirely, from changing the latency of the bluetooth headset's port in pulseaudio, to changing the quantum size in pipewire. So far, nothing solved the problem. I also didn't find anything relating to the problem in the syslog, nor does mpv emit any kind of warning.

I would be happy to hear from all of you who had similar problems and eventually fixed it. Maybe it's something small yet important that I missed.

Cheers

PS: I don't remember having this problem about 3 to 4 weeks ago, which is about the last time I used this particular computer to listen to music. Meanwhile, I not only frequently updated my locally installed packages, but also bumped the firmware from 1.25 to 1.32.

Last edited by rochus (2021-07-23 22:25:33)

#2 2021-07-23 22:25:16

rochus

Re: [SOLVED] bluetooth audio skipping every 18 seconds

Curiously, the most recent updates fixed the problem. That is, I updated my install today, which bumped, the kernel, amd-ucode, as well as linux-firmware to their latest versions. Another change I introduced is booting without the `psmouse.proto=imps` kernel argument, which I used to mitigate the T14s broken trackpoint firmware (see https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Fedora/T14 … =3#5380466 for more details).

I'll mark this thread as solved, even though I'm not entirely sure what actually resolved the issue.

#3 2021-07-23 22:37:58

rochus

Re: [SOLVED] bluetooth audio skipping every 18 seconds

Okay, things are getting weird. While writing the previous message everything seemed to work, and now, only a few minutes later, the skipping starts again. 

The following is based primarily on speculation.

The difference between now and the previous post is that I currently have a download running in the background. A random guess would be that there's some interference between NVMe and the rest of the system (there's apparently yet another bug in the T14s firmware related to that...). Another wild speculation could be something related to the system time. I noticed a few days ago that I have significant time drift on the T14s - having the notebook up and running for 2 days could eventually end up in a time-drift of up to 30 minutes. I switched from extra/ntp to systemd-timesyncd today, and when the skipping started, I had an offset of +400ms (while it was at about 200-240 throughout the day). Now the skipping is gone again, and the temporal offset is back at +240ms. Something's fishy with this system. If I had to guess, I would suspect it's due to the mess of a firmware that Lenovo shipped here (see also the power-drain issue related discussions here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linu … p/5037674).

Board footer