You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-02 19:49:48

CavalierBob

[Solved] Question after reading readme-udev-arch.txt

One section in the README tells me I need to have a "clean" modprobe.conf. My modprobe.conf has the following as the only line in it:

alias eth0 tulip

I have 'tulip' in the MODULES array in mkinitcpio.conf already (added it several days ago, multiple reboots all fine). Is it OK at this point for me to edit modprobe.conf and remove the one line that is there?

Figured I'd ask BEFORE I reboot (novel concept, i know lol ).

Thanks!

Bob

EDIT: marked as solved

#2 2006-10-03 09:10:40

lanrat

Re: [Solved] Question after reading readme-udev-arch.txt

Why do you need this module in mkinitcpio.conf? Do you need network to mount root partition ?

If not just place it in /etc/rc.conf MODULES and remove it from other places.

If you have several network cards using different modules and you're using modules autoloading/autodetecting at any stage you should also place all net modules in the right order (so tulip will became eth0, etc.) in /etc/rc.conf MODULES.

If you want to be sure post your mkinitcpio.conf and rc.conf.

#3 2006-10-03 10:16:22

toxic

I take it clean means that you shouldn't have redundant data in your modprobe.conf, and it seems there may be a slight possibility that some settings in modprobe.conf might interfer with udev. (Udev should handle most tihngs correct anyway, otherwise you can always specify new <udev>.rules files). So, I recoon you'd be alright having or not having that line in your modprobe.conf.

#4 2006-10-03 17:30:00

CavalierBob

Thanks for the replies lanrat & toxic!

I did as lanrat said and added tulip to MODULES in rc.conf and removed it from mkinitcpio.conf and modprobe.conf. Reboot and all is well.

Thanks again for helping out an Arch newbie.

Bob

Board footer