You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-28 08:41:49

joanartur

No languages. Unable to select locale (archinstall --advance).

Good morning. First of all thank you to everyone who has made this installer possible. In my humble opinion, it is a great step to bring Arch Linux to many more people. That said, I have been testing the installer for several hours this week. I liked that it was so simple and fast, but honestly there are still some missing aspects.

One of them is the impossibility to select the system language. Whatever you do (neither archinstall --advance) ends up installing the system with the locale en_US.UTF-8. In my personal case I use the locale ca_US.UTF-8 ca_ES.UTF-8  (Catalan language) for the whole system, and it was impossible to configure it from this python script. Is it so hard to create a selectable list of all locales?

Another point I miss, is that it doesn't ask you if you want to create a swap partition during the installation. In my case, as I work with a laptop I always create it for hibernation.

Summarizing my experience, if you use English on your system, the installer is easy and fast, and does its job well, but for the rest of the world languages it does not. Trying to change the locale settings once the system is installed is a headache for an average user, and you end up messing up your system.

Good job and I hope to enjoy new improvements in the installer in next ISOs of our beloved Arch Linux !

Last edited by joanartur (2021-07-28 17:59:02)

Free your computer !

#2 2021-07-28 09:47:36

icar

Re: No languages. Unable to select locale (archinstall --advance).

Bones!

Catalan is ca_ES.UTF-8 since we don't have a ca_CA yet ;-) .

#3 2021-07-28 17:57:06

joanartur

icar wrote:

Bones!

Catalan is ca_ES.UTF-8 since we don't have a ca_CA yet ;-) .

Hola icar!

Sorry, I made a mistake writing the locale. Certainly as icar says, I was referring to ca_ES.UTF-8.

Free your computer !

#4 2021-07-29 14:25:32

icar

For suggestions, you can always open issues here: https://github.com/archlinux/archinstall

Board footer