You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-29 17:59:26

ZenRen

If a package is merged to rename should the main package use replaces?

I just took on an orphan, but it uses the wrong package naming scheme for its group. I assume the correct way to rename a package is to create a new package and merge the old one. Should the new package use the replaces= variable in the PKGBUILD, or will users be transferred to the new package automatically? I know the replaces variable should be avoided, so I wanted to make sure beforehand.

#2 2021-07-29 19:16:53

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: If a package is merged to rename should the main package use replaces?

Replaces has no effect on AUR packages, except when the user builds the package and adds it to a package repository. Use conflicts and provides and add a note to the old package name before starting the merge process (in which you should similarly document the change). Those users who have subscribed to notifications will be alerted to your message about why the package has been renamed. Those that aren't can search the aur-requests mailing list (and find your merge request for information) when they notice that the original pkgname has vanished from the AUR.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2021-07-29 21:16:10

ZenRen

Ok. I did mention in a comment that I am looking into renaming it. Best practice is to wait a week or so and then merge, add the old package name to conflicts and provides? In the meantime it won't matter that the renamed package is a duplicate?

#4 2021-07-30 09:38:52

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

As long as it is clear why there are temporarily 2 packages it should not be a problem.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer