You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-09 14:36:16

nikinbaidarr

[EXPLAINED] USB 3.0 to VGA adapter does't seem to work

I am trying to connect an external monitor, Samsung SyncMaster300, to my laptop. The monitor has a VGA port but the laptop does not have a VGA port so I am trying to connect them through a USB 3.0 to VGA adapter. I tested the adapter on a Windows 10 computer and is working fine when I have the device driver installed. However, I can't seem to get it to work on Arch.

I found a reddit post that pointed out that DisplayLink should help me. So I went ahead and tried as instructed on the Arch Wiki here.

But my laptop does not detect the monitor when I connect it through the adapter. The adapter is same as the one shown in this YouTube video. Again, the adapter is working fine because I checked it on my sister's windows 10 computer. Is DisplayLink the right thing to do here or am I missing something?

Last edited by nikinbaidarr (2021-12-24 06:29:32)

#2 2021-08-09 16:22:01

seth

Re: [EXPLAINED] USB 3.0 to VGA adapter does't seem to work

I am trying to connect them through a USB 3.0 to VGA adapter

Windows 10 computer and is working fine when I have the device driver installed

So you have "an" adapter that requires "device driver" on windows.
Instead of referencing a youtube video that nobody's gonna watch, maybe specify model and vendor - "lsusb" might be of help…

#3 2021-08-09 16:43:28

ugjka
Website

Apparently those things are very poorly supported on Linux. I have some no name usb to vga thing i got off aliexpress. Still no clue how to make it work. I'll probably throw it out

Last edited by ugjka (2021-08-09 16:46:27)

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#4 2021-08-09 17:13:13

nikinbaidarr

seth wrote:

So you have "an" adapter that requires "device driver" on windows.

Yes that's correct. I had to download a .exe file off the internet and install it before I got the device to work (on windows 10).

seth wrote:

Instead of referencing a youtube video that nobody's gonna watch, maybe specify model and vendor - "lsusb" might be of help…

As for the model and vendor, it came in a package that said "USB 3.0 to VGA converter" with no model number or branding whatsoever. And I didn't post the output of lsusb because when I ran lsusb, first, with the device disconnected and then again with it connected, the output was same both of the times, so I reckon system isn't even detecting it at all.

#5 2021-08-09 17:15:21

nikinbaidarr

ugjka wrote:

Apparently those things are very poorly supported on Linux.

Yes indeed. Wasted money.

#6 2021-08-09 19:20:47

seth

when I ran lsusb, first, with the device disconnected and then again with it connected, the output was same both of the times

Monitor "dmesg -w", attach the adapter and post the dmesg response to that.

#7 2021-08-10 04:17:12

nikinbaidarr

seth wrote:

Monitor "dmesg -w", attach the adapter and post the dmesg response to that.

That's a new trick I learned today. The response of "dmesg -w" when I attached the adapter was as follows:

[  498.156607] usb 2-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci
[  498.255180] usb 2-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=534d, idProduct=6021, bcdDe
[  498.255196] usb 2-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  498.255202] usb 2-1.1: Product: usb extscreen
[  498.255206] usb 2-1.1: Manufacturer: MACROSILICON
[  498.255210] usb 2-1.1: SerialNumber: 2018BA7160A0
[  498.260309] hid-generic 0003:534D:6021.0006: hiddev98,hidraw4: USB HID v1.10 Devi

So, apparently the device is being detected.

#8 2021-08-10 05:53:33

seth

[  498.156607] usb 2-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci

It looks like you're plugging that into a usb2 hub?

What's the actual output of

lsusb -tv

Also random find on the very same adapter, https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/s- … ter/130487

#9 2021-08-10 06:16:51

skunktrader

seth wrote:

Also random find on the very same adapter

The very same adapter, right down to the identical serial number...

#10 2021-08-10 06:23:50

seth

They all have, it's not unique.
And none of them is plugging it into a USB2 slot ;-)

#11 2021-08-10 14:07:26

nikinbaidarr

seth wrote:

It looks like you're plugging that into a usb2 hub?

Nope. Not really. I do have a hub connected to my machine but I did not connect the adapter through the hub. The USB port on my laptop is 2.0, but then so was that Windows 10 machine I tested it before. Also when I bought it online its description claimed it would work with 2.0 as well.

seth wrote:

What's the actual output of

lsusb -tv

This was the output when I plugged in the device.

/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/2p, 480M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 11, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 480M
            ID 534d:6021 MacroSilicon VGA Display Adapter
        |__ Port 2: Dev 11, If 1, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 11, If 2, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 11, If 3, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=, 480M

I will go check the url you've put see what I can figure.

#12 2021-08-10 14:17:14

seth

The entire, actual, complete output please.
That's a USBv2 hub…

Edit: usb3 is usb2 compatible, but you're not squeezing a reasonable video signal through usb2

Last edited by seth (2021-08-10 14:18:25)

#13 2021-08-10 14:27:36

nikinbaidarr

I decided to go over the DisplayLink installation once again.

Tried to re-install evdi using

yay -Syu evdi

It raised the following error:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deleting module version: 1.9.1 completely from the DKMS tree.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Done.
(1/1) reinstalling evdi                            [##########################] 100%
DKMS install...

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/source ->
                 /usr/src/evdi-1.9.1

DKMS: add completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area...
make -j2 KERNELRELEASE=5.13.9-arch1-1 all INCLUDEDIR=/lib/modules/5.13.9-arch1-1/build/include KVERSION=5.13.9-arch1-1 DKMS_BUILD=1......(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.13.9-arch1-1 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/make.log for more information.
error: command failed to execute correctly
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m evdi -v 1.9.1 -k 5.13.9-arch1-1
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.13.9-arch1-1 (x86_64)
==> Warning, `dkms install --no-depmod -m evdi -v 1.9.1 -k 5.13.9-arch1-1' returned 10
==> depmod 5.13.9-arch1-1

Maybe I had missed this before. Also I found some weird behaviour in the syntax highlighting of my .conf file for evdidevice

Section "OutputClass"
	Identifier "DisplayLink"
	MatchDriver "evdi"
	Driver "modesetting"
	Option  "AccelMethod" "none"
EndSection

The last line is highlighted in red. My other conf files don't have this. So i tried changing "OutputClass" to "InputClass" and this bad highlighting went away. I am utterly confused at this point for I am doing something wrong?

Last edited by nikinbaidarr (2021-08-10 14:30:11)

#14 2021-08-10 14:33:24

seth

dkms wrote:

]Consult /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/make.log for more information.

#15 2021-08-10 17:27:42

nikinbaidarr

dkms wrote:

The file pointed out there was an error in the kernel.

echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\

I rememeber recently running

pacman -Syu linux-headers 

Can that have caused this?

Plus how do I run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on "kernale src".

#16 2021-08-10 19:11:04

seth

Can you please post the entire log?
Also

uname -a
pacman -Qs linux

#17 2021-08-11 12:40:06

nikinbaidarr

seth wrote:

Can you please post the entire log?

Here's the entire log from /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/make.log

DKMS make.log for evdi-1.9.1 for kernel 5.13.9-arch1-1 (x86_64)
Tue Aug 10 08:21:18 PM +0545 2021
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 M=/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build SUBDIRS=/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build SRCROOT=/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/5.13.9-arch1-1/build modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/modules/5.13.9-arch1-1/build'
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
echo >&2;							\
echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
echo >&2 ;							\
/bin/false)
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build \
single-build= \
need-builtin=1 need-modorder=1
  gcc -Wp,-MMD,/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/.evdi_platform_drv.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/11.1.0/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/compiler-version.h -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -Wall -Wundef -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -fno-PIE -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=return-type -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -fcf-protection=none -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-jump-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-address-of-packed-member -O2 -fno-allow-store-data-races -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable -fno-stack-clash-protection -g -gdwarf-4 -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-stringop-truncation -Wno-zero-length-bounds -Wno-array-bounds -Wno-stringop-overflow -Wno-restrict -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -fno-strict-overflow -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -Wno-packed-not-aligned -fplugin=./scripts/gcc-plugins/structleak_plugin.so -fplugin-arg-structleak_plugin-byref-all -DSTRUCTLEAK_PLUGIN -Iinclude/drm  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"evdi_platform_drv"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"evdi"' -D__KBUILD_MODNAME=kmod_evdi -c -o /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_platform_drv.o /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_platform_drv.c
  gcc -Wp,-MMD,/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/.evdi_platform_dev.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/11.1.0/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/compiler-version.h -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -Wall -Wundef -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -fno-PIE -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=return-type -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -fcf-protection=none -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-jump-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-address-of-packed-member -O2 -fno-allow-store-data-races -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable -fno-stack-clash-protection -g -gdwarf-4 -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-stringop-truncation -Wno-zero-length-bounds -Wno-array-bounds -Wno-stringop-overflow -Wno-restrict -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -fno-strict-overflow -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -Wno-packed-not-aligned -fplugin=./scripts/gcc-plugins/structleak_plugin.so -fplugin-arg-structleak_plugin-byref-all -DSTRUCTLEAK_PLUGIN -Iinclude/drm  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"evdi_platform_dev"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"evdi"' -D__KBUILD_MODNAME=kmod_evdi -c -o /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_platform_dev.o /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_platform_dev.c
   ./tools/objtool/objtool orc generate  --module  --no-fp   --retpoline  --uaccess  /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_platform_drv.o
  gcc -Wp,-MMD,/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/.evdi_sysfs.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/11.1.0/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/compiler-version.h -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -Wall -Wundef -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -fno-PIE -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=return-type -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -fcf-protection=none -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-jump-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-address-of-packed-member -O2 -fno-allow-store-data-races -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable -fno-stack-clash-protection -g -gdwarf-4 -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-stringop-truncation -Wno-zero-length-bounds -Wno-array-bounds -Wno-stringop-overflow -Wno-restrict -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -fno-strict-overflow -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -Wno-packed-not-aligned -fplugin=./scripts/gcc-plugins/structleak_plugin.so -fplugin-arg-structleak_plugin-byref-all -DSTRUCTLEAK_PLUGIN -Iinclude/drm  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"evdi_sysfs"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"evdi"' -D__KBUILD_MODNAME=kmod_evdi -c -o /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_sysfs.o /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_sysfs.c
   ./tools/objtool/objtool orc generate  --module  --no-fp   --retpoline  --uaccess  /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_platform_dev.o
  gcc -Wp,-MMD,/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/.evdi_modeset.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/11.1.0/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/compiler-version.h -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -Wall -Wundef -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -fno-PIE -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=return-type -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -fcf-protection=none -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-jump-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-address-of-packed-member -O2 -fno-allow-store-data-races -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable -fno-stack-clash-protection -g -gdwarf-4 -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-stringop-truncation -Wno-zero-length-bounds -Wno-array-bounds -Wno-stringop-overflow -Wno-restrict -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -fno-strict-overflow -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -Wno-packed-not-aligned -fplugin=./scripts/gcc-plugins/structleak_plugin.so -fplugin-arg-structleak_plugin-byref-all -DSTRUCTLEAK_PLUGIN -Iinclude/drm  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"evdi_modeset"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"evdi"' -D__KBUILD_MODNAME=kmod_evdi -c -o /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.o /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c
   ./tools/objtool/objtool orc generate  --module  --no-fp   --retpoline  --uaccess  /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_sysfs.o
  gcc -Wp,-MMD,/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/.evdi_connector.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/11.1.0/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/compiler-version.h -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -Wall -Wundef -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -fno-PIE -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=return-type -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -fcf-protection=none -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-jump-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-address-of-packed-member -O2 -fno-allow-store-data-races -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable -fno-stack-clash-protection -g -gdwarf-4 -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-stringop-truncation -Wno-zero-length-bounds -Wno-array-bounds -Wno-stringop-overflow -Wno-restrict -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -fno-strict-overflow -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -Wno-packed-not-aligned -fplugin=./scripts/gcc-plugins/structleak_plugin.so -fplugin-arg-structleak_plugin-byref-all -DSTRUCTLEAK_PLUGIN -Iinclude/drm  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"evdi_connector"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"evdi"' -D__KBUILD_MODNAME=kmod_evdi -c -o /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_connector.o /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_connector.c
/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c:331:26: error: initialization of ‘void (*)(struct drm_plane *, struct drm_atomic_state *)’ from incompatible pointer type ‘void (*)(struct drm_plane *, struct drm_plane_state *)’ [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  331 |         .atomic_update = evdi_plane_atomic_update,
      |                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c:331:26: note: (near initialization for ‘evdi_plane_helper_funcs.atomic_update’)
/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c:332:23: error: ‘drm_gem_fb_prepare_fb’ undeclared here (not in a function); did you mean ‘drm_gem_fb_create’?
  332 |         .prepare_fb = drm_gem_fb_prepare_fb
      |                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |                       drm_gem_fb_create
/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c:336:26: error: initialization of ‘void (*)(struct drm_plane *, struct drm_atomic_state *)’ from incompatible pointer type ‘void (*)(struct drm_plane *, struct drm_plane_state *)’ [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  336 |         .atomic_update = evdi_cursor_atomic_update,
      |                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c:336:26: note: (near initialization for ‘evdi_cursor_helper_funcs.atomic_update’)
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:273: /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
   ./tools/objtool/objtool orc generate  --module  --no-fp   --retpoline  --uaccess  /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_connector.o
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1853: /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/modules/5.13.9-arch1-1/build'
make: *** [Makefile:28: all] Error 2

The output of "uname -a" is

Linux archlinux 5.13.9-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun, 08 Aug 2021 11:25:35 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and the output of "pacman -Qs linux" is as follows:

local/alsa-lib 1.2.5.1-3
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/archlinux-keyring 20210802-1
    Arch Linux PGP keyring
local/avahi 0.8+20+gd1e71b3-1
    Service Discovery for Linux using mDNS/DNS-SD -- compatible with Bonjour
local/base 2-2
    Minimal package set to define a basic Arch Linux installation
local/circuitjs-bin 2.5.3-1
    Falstad Circuit Simulator for Linux. (Real and offline version)
local/displaylink 5.4-3
    Linux driver for DL-6xxx, DL-5xxx, DL-41xx and DL-3x00
local/evdi 1.9.1-1
    A Linux® kernel module that enables management of multiple screens.
local/filesystem 2021.05.31-1
    Base Arch Linux files
local/ibus 1.5.24-1
    Next Generation Input Bus for Linux
local/iptables 1:1.8.7-1
    Linux kernel packet control tool (using legacy interface)
local/keyutils 1.6.3-1
    Linux Key Management Utilities
local/kmod 29-1
    Linux kernel module management tools and library
local/lib32-keyutils 1.6.3-1
    Linux Key Management Utilities (32-bit)
local/lib32-libxshmfence 1.3-2
    a library that exposes a event API on top of Linux futexes (32-bit)
local/lib32-util-linux 2.37.1-1
    Miscellaneous system utilities for Linux (32-bit)
local/libaio 0.3.112-2
    The Linux-native asynchronous I/O facility (aio) library
local/libcap-ng 0.8.2-3
    A library for Linux that makes using posix capabilities easy
local/libiec61883 1.2.0-6
    A higher level API for streaming DV, MPEG-2 and audio over Linux IEEE 1394
local/libraw1394 2.1.2-3
    Provides an API to the Linux IEEE1394 (FireWire) driver
local/libva 2.12.0-1
    Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux
local/libxshmfence 1.3-2
    a library that exposes a event API on top of Linux futexes
local/linux 5.13.9.arch1-1
    The Linux kernel and modules
local/linux-api-headers 5.12.3-1
    Kernel headers sanitized for use in userspace
local/linux-firmware 20210716.b7c134f-1
    Firmware files for Linux
local/linux-headers 5.13.9.arch1-1
    Headers and scripts for building modules for the Linux kernel
local/pacman-mirrorlist 20210808-1
    Arch Linux mirror list for use by pacman
local/python-distro 1.5.0-3
    Linux OS platform information API
local/python2-distro 1.5.0-3
    Linux OS platform information API
local/teams 1.4.00.13653-1
    Microsoft Teams for Linux is your chat-centered workspace in Office 365
local/util-linux 2.37.1-3
    Miscellaneous system utilities for Linux
local/util-linux-libs 2.37.1-3
    util-linux runtime libraries
local/v4l-utils 1.20.0-1
    Userspace tools and conversion library for Video 4 Linux

#18 2021-08-11 14:25:57

seth

This is the actual error:

/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c:331:26: error: initialization of ‘void (*)(struct drm_plane *, struct drm_atomic_state *)’ from incompatible pointer type ‘void (*)(struct drm_plane *, struct drm_plane_state *)’ [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  331 |         .atomic_update = evdi_plane_atomic_update,
      |                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c:331:26: note: (near initialization for ‘evdi_plane_helper_funcs.atomic_update’)
/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c:332:23: error: ‘drm_gem_fb_prepare_fb’ undeclared here (not in a function); did you mean ‘drm_gem_fb_create’?
  332 |         .prepare_fb = drm_gem_fb_prepare_fb
      |                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |                       drm_gem_fb_create
/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c:336:26: error: initialization of ‘void (*)(struct drm_plane *, struct drm_atomic_state *)’ from incompatible pointer type ‘void (*)(struct drm_plane *, struct drm_plane_state *)’ [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  336 |         .atomic_update = evdi_cursor_atomic_update,
      |                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.9.1/build/evdi_modeset.c:336:26: note: (near initialization for ‘evdi_cursor_helper_funcs.atomic_update’)

Try https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/evdi-git/

#19 2021-08-12 11:55:40

nikinbaidarr

seth wrote:

Decided to start for the beginning:

pacman -Rns displaylink
systemctl disable displaylink.service
yay -S displaylink
systemctl enable displaylink.service

When I re-installed DisplayLink for the AUR I choose the "evdi-git" package instead of "evdi". It didn't throw any error this time around. Did a reboot but the output of "xrandr --listproviders" is still

Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x43 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 2 outputs: 2 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting

The /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-evidevice.conf has weird syntax highlighting as I've pointed :

nikinbaidarr wrote:

Also I found some weird behavior in the syntax highlighting of my .conf file for evdidevice

Section "OutputClass"
	Identifier "DisplayLink"
	MatchDriver "evdi"
	Driver "modesetting"
	Option  "AccelMethod" "none"
EndSection

The last line is highlighted in red. My other conf files don't have this. So i tried changing "OutputClass" to "InputClass" and this bad highlighting went away. I am utterly confused at this point for I am doing something wrong?

What can possibly cause this behaviour in my syntax highlighting?

#20 2021-08-12 12:45:27

Benas09

I have similar looking cheap usb -> hdmi adapter that works on windows, but not in linux and it has Fresco Logic FL2000 chip like in your video. There are no linux drivers for this chip.
You have to buy an adapter with display link chip. I got this working easily

https://i-tec.pro/wp-content/uploads/20 … MI_03a.jpg

Last edited by Benas09 (2021-08-12 12:48:58)

#21 2021-08-12 13:22:13

seth

Please post the complete output of "lsusb -tv" - you stand a much better chance of that thing working if you attach it to a USB3 hub.
Repeat after me: regardless of whether you can ultimately detect it, you will not squeeze any meaningful video signal through USB2 (maybe 1400x900@30Hz - and your output has to support that)
And I doubt that the adapter really supports USB2.

That being said and because of Benas09 comments, you should also check your dmesg for evdi errors.
But again: start by attaching it to a USB3 hub.

Board footer