You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-21 08:00:07

unlimitedbacon

Zazzle won't let me buy an Arch T-shirt

So yesterday I followed this link on the Arch home page to buy a shirt from Zazzle.

Products via Zazzle

I chose what was at the time the first shirt on the list (it looks like that particular shirt has been removed since then) and purchased it. This morning I got the following email:

Hello unlimitedbacon,
Thank you for your recent order: ####.

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your order. The designs are in conflict with our content guidelines.

As a result, the following items cannot be produced:

Title:    Linux Archlinux Tshirt
Result:    Not Approved
Content Notes:   
This product contains a design with an image and/or text that may be trademarked. Zazzle is not currently licensed to offer merchandise for this particular brand. If you are interested in purchasing officially licensed merchandise at Zazzle, please visit: http://www.zazzle.com/brands

When we cancelled your order, we released the authorized funds back into the account used to make your purchase. You can expect the returning funds to be available in your account within the next 7-10 business days, depending on the processing speed of the financial institution that authorized the initial transaction.

If you wish to order a replacement for the above cancelled item(s), and you used a promo code in your original order, or if you have any questions or concerns about the review of your products, please email us at content_review@zazzle.com. We'll be happy to provide you with a replacement code or any additional support.

As always, we also encourage you to modify the design of any item that could not be processed so that it meets our content guidelines.

We apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment that you may have experienced, and we look forward to delighting you with high quality products in the future.

Thank you for shopping at Zazzle!

Best,
—Zazzle Content Review Team

So it doesn't seem like any official Arch merch is being sold on Zazzle anymore. Just thought I'd let everyone know you should probably use one of the other stores if you want to support Arch.

#2 2021-08-21 08:26:01

schard
Website

Re: Zazzle won't let me buy an Arch T-shirt

The Arch Linux Logo is proprietary and trademarked, so the reply from the shop is totally unsurprising. They would need to buy a license from the copyright holder in order to be legally able to sell those TShirts. Since arch linux is a niche product, they most like will not do that, since it would be ineconomical to them. The rigid Arch Linux trademarks are a PITA if you want to acquire merch with its logo.

Restricted use that requires a trademark license

Explicit permission from the Arch Linux Project Lead is necessary to use any of the Trademarks under any circumstances other than those specifically permitted above. These include:

Any commercial use.
    Use for merchandising purposes, e.g. on t-shirts and the like.

Last edited by schard (2021-08-21 08:35:09)

#3 2021-08-21 08:39:49

progandy

schard wrote:

The Arch Linux Logo is proprietary and trademarked, so the reply from the shop is totally unsurprising. They would need to buy a license from the copyright holder in order to be legally able to sell those TShirts. Since arch linux is a niche product, they most like will not do that, since it would be ineconomical to them. The rigid Arch Linux trademarks are a PITA if you want to acquire merch with its logo.

The problem here is that the zazzle store is advertised as an offical way to "support" archlinux on archlinux.org.

Last edited by progandy (2021-08-21 08:40:21)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2021-08-21 08:42:28

schard
Website

progandy wrote:

The problem here is that the zazzle store is advertised as an offical way to "support" archlinux on archlinux.org.

Seriously?
So the Arch Linux project is luring its community to this shop in the hopes that they can buy Arch Linux merch there but did not even issue them a license?
Or is the intent from the Arch Linux project just to get revenue from the link hits to that shop by means of possible advertising contracts?

#5 2021-08-21 09:03:17

progandy

That link has been there for more than 12 years. No idea what agreements were made at that time. Maybe those were only oral or personal mail and were lost somewhere, or the zazzle business model has changed and the original license is no longer valid.
https://github.com/archlinux/archweb/bl … x.html#L83

It is strange that the products are still up even though they cannot be sold anymore.

Last edited by progandy (2021-08-21 09:18:36)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer