You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-03 16:12:44

ralvez
Website

New Kernel Problems

I was working just fine with the new kernel for about a day, then something happen and I got a kernel panic.
I figured I should be OK and began trying to recover the system... but it did not work.
To make a long story short I decided to re-install using a archlinix 0.7.2 CD.
Everything went OK untill I wanted to setup mkinitcpio. I get this error:
Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda2") when I run lilo

My mkinitcpio.conf has:

MODULES="piix ide_disk reiserfs"
and 
HOOKS="base udev autodetect ide scsi sata filesystems"

Any Ideas?

Thanks

R

#2 2006-10-04 12:30:06

FUBAR
Website

Re: New Kernel Problems

Do you get the error while installing Arch? Or have you already booted into your newly installed OS?

I've never had to setup mkinitcpio.conf during the installation so I don't quite follow.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2006-10-04 14:19:43

toxic

That sounds like "autodetect" isn¨'t working properly and is detecting some raid for you, which I guess you don't have. (If you have it, you should probably add raid to HOOKS).

Try to remove autodetect from HOOKS and possibly ide/scsi/sata as well (you probably have i.e. sata or ide disks and not both. Personally I have only "base udev sata filesystems" in my HOOKS array, because I'm using sata harddrives and don't need to other).

The other possibility is that reiserfs doesn't work properly. I've never tried it so I can't offer any advice on that matter anyway.
If nothing else works (and you eventually get to install some sort of system) you can always try out to patch your kernel with LKCD (Linux Kernel Crash Dump) which let's you store the crash information and analyze it.

#4 2006-10-04 15:21:37

tpowa
Developer

try 'noapic' boot option on new kernel

#5 2006-10-04 16:36:18

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

You guys missed the last note... read the bold:

ralvez wrote:

I get this error:
Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda2") when I run lilo

It appears this is just a lilo issue - possibly an unmounted /dev or /proc... I haven't touched lilo in years, so I have no idea.

#6 2006-10-04 21:43:39

ralvez
Website

Well the whole thing became so weard that I had to trash the entire system and start all over.   sad
Also, after I re-installed some of my partitions were I save system configurations (so I do not have to start from scrach, should something go wrong  roll ) where also distroyed. Guess it was my lucky day.

I got the system up an running again but I will have to go over installing mkinitcpio because I used an ISO with 0.7.2 and the kernel is prior to 2.6.18

Finally when I did an attempt to install Basket for KDE (today) it complained that I do not have Qt and some libraries but when I search for the libraries it says I have them  :x  ... guess my good luck in the office continues.
BTW it was my impression that Quanta uses QT (which I have installed) am I wrong? Shouldn't the QT and libraries be available right there?

Having said all that ... this is the VERY FIRST TIME that Arch has given me such a hard time ... may be the  :idea:  in my brain is broken or something .

#7 2006-10-05 00:09:52

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

ralvez wrote:

Finally when I did an attempt to install Basket for KDE (today) it complained that I do not have Qt and some libraries but when I search for the libraries it says I have them  :x  ... guess my good luck in the office continues.
BTW it was my impression that Quanta uses QT (which I have installed) am I wrong? Shouldn't the QT and libraries be available right there?

Do you have pkgconfig installed? If not, install it and try again.

#8 2006-10-05 02:03:26

ralvez
Website

Thank you all for your ideas guys, much appreciated.
Snowman, I'll try tomorrow to add pkgconfig.

Thanks again.

R

#9 2006-10-06 00:04:43

ralvez
Website

Well ... this has been most interesting.
After I added pkgconfig I was yet unable to run

./configure --prefix=/usr

as it did not find all the libraries (QT in particular), howerver; after I made myself a memeber of bin I was OK.

Is that supposed to be "normal behaviour" ? roll

Usually I make myself member of this group but ... I never realized it had "larger implications" if I missed that.

I'm happy to report that my system is almost back to normal with just a couple of errors I think it is piix or somethin like that.

BTW do I need to load SCSI modules if I have SATA, PATA drives or can I leat it out. I have a feeling that some of the problems may be related to that.

Thanks

Board footer