You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-03 18:55:05

WellWellWell

[SOLVED] Black Content Windows in Steam/No Friends List

I couldn't find an answer here and just experienced this problem so figured I'd post the solution I found.

Evidently the freetype library update conflicts with the steam package.  Some say this does not impact package steam-native.

Quick fix is to load steam and go to Steam->Settings->Account and change to the Beta client, which fixes the issue after it updates.

More info: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- … ssues/7935

#2 2021-09-03 20:05:56

DeathStar

Re: [SOLVED] Black Content Windows in Steam/No Friends List

Forgive me for responding to a solved thread but I had the same problem and fixed it the same way. I had a question and I don't feel it warrants a new thread. How do we know when the non-beta client fixes this issue? I don't really want to run the beta client forever. Is there a change-log for steam I can follow? Do I just opt out of beta every now and then to see if its fixed? I hope this isn't a dumb question and I hope I am not hijacking your thread.

#3 2021-09-03 20:22:48

WellWellWell

DeathStar wrote:

Forgive me for responding to a solved thread but I had the same problem and fixed it the same way. I had a question and I don't feel it warrants a new thread. How do we know when the non-beta client fixes this issue? I don't really want to run the beta client forever. Is there a change-log for steam I can follow? Do I just opt out of beta every now and then to see if its fixed? I hope this isn't a dumb question and I hope I am not hijacking your thread.

I've only just started using Arch these past two weeks so I'm definitely not the best person to respond as it might be completely wrong....

That disclaimer being said, I believe that Steam, once installed via the package, has the capability to update itself.  It can also be updated via pacman and the "steam" or "steam-native-runtime" package when those packages are updated in the repository.

This steam package is the one I initially installed from here: https://archlinux.org/packages/multilib/x86_64/steam/
The steam-native-runtime package is here: https://archlinux.org/packages/multilib … e-runtime/

To the best of my knowledge, you can use either and the Steam client handles internal updates as they are released, based on your settings within Steam (e.g. opt-in to Beta or stable).

I assume the native is compiled against arch-specific libs that don't have the problem I described.

Again, this is all guessing on my part and I welcome any correction.  It's a bit confusing to me when the application can, presumably, update itself.

To the point, I'd imagine you could do as you mentioned and occasionally swap out of Beta to see what happens.  If nobody chimes in create a new thread to see what someone else can provide.

Last edited by WellWellWell (2021-09-03 20:25:28)

#4 2021-09-03 21:13:34

Ammako

#5 2021-09-03 22:50:07

WellWellWell

Thank you!  This community just blows my mind with its knowledge and helpfulness.

Board footer