You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-05 09:44:46

Seaender07

Sound is enabled but isn't adjustable from the top bar (logged in)

Hi everyone, I'm not a pro in Arch, so I think I made some mistakes.
I'm using Gnome.

I installed 'alsa-utilities' (so 'alsa-state', 'alsa-store' and 'alsa-restore' too).
Even without enabling them (systemctl enable) I can adjust the sound from "alsamixer" and I can hear that the speakers are working (with "test-speakers -c 2" is all right too), but I can't control the sound from the top bar (which doesn't display speakers icon and opening it displays a useless bar without icon).

I found a post on this forum, which suggests to add this in '/usr/lib/systemd/system/alsa-state.service' [and 'alsa-restore.service']:

[Install]
WantedBy=sound.target

and then to enable alsa-state and alsa-restore to start with system (via "systemctl enable").

I did this, then, as suggested, I rebooted the system: nothing changed.

But the strange thing is that from the lock screen the sound has worked properly (top bar included) since I installed alsa-utilities.

How is this possible and what can I do?

Thanks a lot to everyone...

#2 2021-09-05 12:03:05

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Sound is enabled but isn't adjustable from the top bar (logged in)

Gnome's built-in mixer utilities require pulseaudio or pipewire(-pulse).

Regarding whatever you read about these services, that's the wrong way to handle them, the correct way of how they are intended to be used is described in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Advanc … nd_systemd but this will be tangential and irrelevant to the issue you are trying to fix.

Last edited by V1del (2021-09-05 12:21:06)

#3 2021-09-06 08:06:11

Seaender07

V1del wrote:

Gnome's built-in mixer utilities require pulseaudio or pipewire(-pulse).

Regarding whatever you read about these services, that's the wrong way to handle them, the correct way of how they are intended to be used is described in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Advanc … nd_systemd but this will be tangential and irrelevant to the issue you are trying to fix.

Thanks, I checked 'pulseaudio' and 'pipewire' and they were already installed in my system. To repair my errors, I reinstalled 'alsa-utilities' so those modified documents now are at the original state.

Is it right what I did?

Anyway, typing "amixer sset [...] unmute" with various kinds of audio output, the terminal gives me the same thing:

amixer: Unable to find simple control '[...]',0

But with "alsamixer" I can adjust the volume level normally.

What can I do?

#4 2021-09-06 09:21:29

V1del
Forum Moderator

That should be okay, but we'll need to define what "isn't adjustable" means exactly. Maybe post

aplay -l
amixer
pacmd list-cards
pacmd list-sinks

#5 2021-09-06 11:14:10

Seaender07

V1del wrote:

That should be okay, but we'll need to define what "isn't adjustable" means exactly. Maybe post

aplay -l
amixer
pacmd list-cards
pacmd list-sinks

With "Isn't adjustable from the top bar" I mean that all the options from the menu on the right of the top bar are working properly (with icons showing and functions working) except the audio setting, which appears without icon (with menu closed) and with a slider only (in the menu, without icon at the left) that actually does nothing. Even from the audio settings it's impossible to manage sound cards and input/output devices. Only from "alsamixer" it's possible to manage audio settings.

Here is the output of the commands you listed me:

"aplay -l"

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: CX20588 Analog [CX20588 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

"amixer"

Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]

"pacmd list-cards"

No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

"pacmd list-skins"

No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

Seen the output from the last two commands, will I need to activate PulseAudio daemon? If yes, how can I do it? Thanks

Board footer