You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-30 22:31:03

Leigh

mkinitcpio question

I know I'm a little behind with this change over to mkinitcpio, but I thought it would be wise to ask before upgrading.

I have a software raid setup using md0 as root, and two other arrays as md1 and md2.

Anyway, I think this is all I need to do before upgrading to the new 26.18 kernel and mkinitcpio......

Add raid to mkinitcpio.conf...
HOOKS="base udev raid autodetect ide scsi sata filesystems"

hmm, I thought it might be wise to put (raid) before autodetect, or does it matter?

Changes to my my grub Menu.lst
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 pci=conf1 root=/dev/md0 ro md=0,/dev/sda3,/dev/sdb3 md=1,/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1 md=2,/dev/sda2,/dev/sdb2 vga=773
initrd /kernel26.img

and menu entry #2 same as above except...
initrd /kernel26-fallback.img

Before I actually do this upgrade, I wanted to ask if the above looks reasonable, or if it looks like I'm on the right track with these changes...?

also, I wanted to ask
Will there be a problem using the kernel option pci=conf1 with mkinitcpio and kernel 26.18 ?

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#2 2006-10-01 02:59:29

Leigh

Re: mkinitcpio question

Well, I got brave and went ahead with the upgrade. To stay on the safe side, I only upgraded mkinitcpio first, keeping the old init intact to make sure everything was cool, and it was. So I went ahead and upgraded to kernel 26.18 and nvidia, etc...  all seems fine! smile

Thanks Arch maintainers/developers for a great job!

The only thing I was really unsure about was being able to use pci=conf1 as a kernel option, as well adding md= "arrays" to the grub menu.lst, verses having them in mkinitcpio.conf.

Anyway I guess I did everything right...?

#3 2006-10-02 16:24:24

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Leigh wrote:

hmm, I thought it might be wise to put (raid) before autodetect, or does it matter?

autodetect is sneaky.  It actually does nothing at runtime, only when it builds the image.  Basically, I read it as "everything after this is autodetected" - so your raid modules will be installed in full (I think) instead of specific to your system.

Leigh wrote:

Will there be a problem using the kernel option pci=conf1 with mkinitcpio and kernel 26.18 ?

Not sure... I doubt it though.  What does this option do?

#4 2006-10-06 14:50:39

Leigh

My nvbios doesn't recognize my devices and or busses correctly. I think maybe because I have two graphics cards, both on pci-E slots and another on a regular pci slot. Anyway I'm alittle fuzzy about how pci=conf1 or pci=conf2 works, but it somehow bypasses the bios settings and resolves confict's that I would otherwise have without using this kernel option. I think it's very similar to the pci=nobios option. All I really know is that my system has bus/device conflicts that I can't seem to resolve without the pci=conf1 option enabled.

Board footer