You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-15 02:46:57

yutanagano

[SOLVED] Wifi/bluetooth suddenly not working?

Hello forums,

I have a laptop with a new install of Arch Linux. My setup was working without a hitch until today.
I had installed and enabled:

- NetworkManager for managing wifi
- Bluez and bluez-utils for managing bluetooth

Today, I booted up my laptop in my room, where everything was working fine. Then, I decided to move to another room in the house, so I picked up my laptop and then walked to the living room. By the time I sat down there, the wifi had disconnected (which I assume is normal, because I could have temporarily moved out of range of my wifi router). However, it wouldn't reconnect at all. In fact, my computer's wifi service itself was down- "ip link" now doesn't even recognise my wifi card.

On top of that, my bluetooth doesn't work anymore either. Trying to enter the interactive prompt with "bluetoothctl" just returns "Waiting to connect to bluetoothd...". "rfkill" doesn't recognise my bluetooth card either.

So now I'm writing and posting this via ethernet. I would really apreciate any help with this as having a broken wifi/bluetooth is obviously not nice!

I'm an absolute noob with all of this stuff so I haven't a clue what went wrong, and I'm not entirely sure what info I should post here that would be helpful, but below are some things that may be useful:

Output of ip link (it used to show a third entry for my wifi card)

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp64s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 30:65:ec:c7:bb:18 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Output of rfkill list (it used to show two more entries for my bluetooth and another WLAN device called phy0)

0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

Output of bluetoothctl

Waiting to connect to bluetoothd...

Output of nmcli device

DEVICE   TYPE      STATE      CONNECTION         
enp64s0  ethernet  connected  Wired connection 1 
lo       loopback  unmanaged  --                 

Output of systemctl list-units --state=running (I notice that wpa_supplicant isn't running anymore? I think it's supposed to, right?)
(I did try "systemctl start wpa_supplicant" and see if that changed anything but it didn't... sad )

UNIT                            LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION                         >
  init.scope                      loaded active running System and Service Manager
  session-3.scope                 loaded active running Session 3 of User yuta              >
  dbus.service                    loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus
  getty@tty1.service              loaded active running Getty on tty1
  NetworkManager.service          loaded active running Network Manager
  polkit.service                  loaded active running Authorization Manager
  systemd-journald.service        loaded active running Journal Service
  systemd-logind.service          loaded active running User Login Management
  systemd-timesyncd.service       loaded active running Network Time Synchronization
  systemd-udevd.service           loaded active running Rule-based Manager for Device Events>
  user@1000.service               loaded active running User Manager for UID 1000           >
  dbus.socket                     loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus Socket
  systemd-journald-audit.socket   loaded active running Journal Audit Socket
  systemd-journald-dev-log.socket loaded active running Journal Socket (/dev/log)
  systemd-journald.socket         loaded active running Journal Socket
  systemd-udevd-control.socket    loaded active running udev Control Socket
  systemd-udevd-kernel.socket     loaded active running udev Kernel Socket

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
17 loaded units listed.

Output of systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled

UNIT FILE                          STATE   VENDOR PRESET
bluetooth.service                  enabled disabled     
getty@.service                     enabled enabled      
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service  enabled disabled     
NetworkManager-wait-online.service enabled disabled     
NetworkManager.service             enabled disabled     
systemd-timesyncd.service          enabled enabled      
remote-fs.target                   enabled enabled      

7 unit files listed.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by yutanagano (2021-09-07 06:59:42)

#2 2021-08-15 03:23:27

hevin

Re: [SOLVED] Wifi/bluetooth suddenly not working?

show you dmesg lspci -kvv lsusb and lsmod.

#3 2021-08-15 03:25:10

hevin

rfkill
ID TYPE      DEVICE              SOFT      HARD
0 wlan      asus-wlan      unblocked unblocked
1 bluetooth asus-bluetooth unblocked unblocked
2 wlan      phy0           unblocked unblocked
3 bluetooth hci0           unblocked unblocked

#4 2021-08-15 06:01:23

yutanagano

hevin wrote:

show you dmesg lspci -kvv lsusb and lsmod.

Thanks hevin for the response.

Output of dmesg
https://pastebin.com/4pmNkcHX

Output of lspci -kvv
https://pastebin.com/jn1HZsVz

Output of lsusb

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b5c5 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd HD WebCam
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0aaa Intel Corp. Bluetooth 9460/9560 Jefferson Peak (JfP)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Output of lsmod
https://pastebin.com/qtUiEUtR

#5 2021-08-15 06:07:55

yutanagano

UPDATE: Also, after having rebooted my system quite a few times since the first hiccup, I have noticed that the wifi and bluetooth sometimes randomly fix themselves, before randomly malfunctioning again. Currently, both my wifi and bluetooth are back to its functioning state. I wonder if it's something to do with my wifi/bluetooth chips and my Arch linux install not having the best drivers for them? But I'm too much of a noob to know how to check this, and what to do if this was indeed the case sad

I've tried my best to move around my house with my laptop and recreate the incident, but it almost seems to be random when the malfunctions occur.

Currently, the output of ip link has returned to

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp64s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 30:65:ec:c7:bb:18 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp0s20f3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether a8:6d:aa:e7:f0:77 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

and rfkill is also back to listing everything as usual

ID TYPE      DEVICE             SOFT      HARD
 0 wlan      acer-wireless unblocked unblocked
 1 wlan      phy0          unblocked unblocked
 2 bluetooth hci0          unblocked unblocked

and wpa_supplicant is also back (output of systemctl list-units --state=running)

UNIT                            LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION                         >
  init.scope                      loaded active running System and Service Manager
  session-1.scope                 loaded active running Session 1 of User yuta              >
  bluetooth.service               loaded active running Bluetooth service
  dbus.service                    loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus
  getty@tty1.service              loaded active running Getty on tty1
  NetworkManager.service          loaded active running Network Manager
  polkit.service                  loaded active running Authorization Manager
  systemd-journald.service        loaded active running Journal Service
  systemd-logind.service          loaded active running User Login Management
  systemd-timesyncd.service       loaded active running Network Time Synchronization
  systemd-udevd.service           loaded active running Rule-based Manager for Device Events>
  user@1000.service               loaded active running User Manager for UID 1000
  wpa_supplicant.service          loaded active running WPA supplicant                      >
  dbus.socket                     loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus Socket
  systemd-journald-audit.socket   loaded active running Journal Audit Socket
  systemd-journald-dev-log.socket loaded active running Journal Socket (/dev/log)
  systemd-journald.socket         loaded active running Journal Socket
  systemd-udevd-control.socket    loaded active running udev Control Socket
  systemd-udevd-kernel.socket     loaded active running udev Kernel Socket

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
19 loaded units listed.

Last edited by yutanagano (2021-08-15 06:09:07)

#6 2021-08-15 06:29:55

seth

sudo journalctl -b

The answer is most likely in some kernel message as it seems the device driver or firmware might have crashed (and the surrounding messages might explain why, eg. if NM did something stupid ;-)

Ceterum censeo: if you've a parallel windows installation, please see the 3rd link below…

@hevin, I'm not sure why you're posting *your* rfkill state, but in any event, please use code tags for such purposes - https://bbs.archlinux.org/help.php#bbcode

Edit, shit - forgot to F5.
Since the reboot got your wifi back,

sudo journalctl -b -1

will access the relevant journal of the previous boot (increase the number at the end accordingly to hit a boot where you lost the interface)

Last edited by seth (2021-08-15 06:32:56)

#7 2021-08-15 07:44:28

yutanagano

Thanks seth for your reply!

seth wrote:
sudo journalctl -b

The answer is most likely in some kernel message as it seems the device driver or firmware might have crashed (and the surrounding messages might explain why, eg. if NM did something stupid ;-)

Output of sudo journalctl -b (for a boot where wifi initially was functioning, then malfunctioned a few seconds after booting)
https://pastebin.com/Fc82AdeW
(I notice many lines of text from "iwlwifi" which were red on my console... do you reckon this has anything to do with the problem?)

seth wrote:

Ceterum censeo: if you've a parallel windows installation, please see the 3rd link below…

I do not have a parallel windows installation. That being said, I used to have a GRUB dual boot between Windows and Ubuntu, then later Windows and Arch on this machine. But I've reformatted/repartitioned the computer since then and now, I only have Arch.

#8 2021-08-15 12:44:35

seth

Aug 15 16:25:38 triton NetworkManager[346]: <info>  [1629012338.3289] manager: NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_GLOBAL
Aug 15 16:25:38 triton NetworkManager[346]: <info>  [1629012338.9885] dhcp6 (wlp0s20f3): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
Aug 15 16:25:38 triton NetworkManager[346]: <info>  [1629012338.9902] policy: set 'Buffalo-A-E310' (wlp0s20f3) as default for IPv6 routing and DNS
Aug 15 16:25:39 triton NetworkManager[346]: <info>  [1629012339.0274] dhcp6 (wlp0s20f3): state changed unknown -> bound
Aug 15 16:25:40 triton systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Deactivated successfully.
Aug 15 16:25:40 triton audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=NetworkManager-dispatcher comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
Aug 15 16:25:43 triton kernel: acer_wmi: Unknown function number - 8 - 0
Aug 15 16:25:47 triton kernel: iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Microcode SW error detected. Restarting 0x0.
…
Aug 15 16:26:03 triton kernel: iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: WRT: Collecting data: ini trigger 13 fired (delay=0ms).
Aug 15 16:26:06 triton kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
Aug 15 16:26:06 triton kernel: Hardware became unavailable during restart.
Aug 15 16:26:06 triton kernel: WARNING: CPU: 11 PID: 95 at net/mac80211/util.c:2335 ieee80211_reconfig+0xd6/0x14d0 [mac80211]
…

The rest of the log is pretty much all about that crash.
This is also only ~20 seconds into the boot, so unless you moved immediately while the system was booting it's probably not related to you getting your daily steps in.

Here's a voodoo fix (or not, it's voodoo):
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1918843
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1919715
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 0#p1951800

#9 2021-08-16 05:29:09

yutanagano

seth wrote:

Here's a voodoo fix (or not, it's voodoo):
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1918843
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1919715
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 0#p1951800

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I'll give this a try!:

/etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
---
options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1

I'll see what happens over the next week or so and if all is well I will mark this thread as closed. Fingers crossed!

#10 2021-08-16 08:30:02

yutanagano

UPDATE: So after rebooting with

---
options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1

things are slightly better (my system hasn't frozen like before, and my wifi interface hasn't completely disappeared yet) but my wifi still became unusable at one point (it refused to connect to anything, and also a similar-looking crash was reported in the kernel logs) so I'm going to now try:

---
options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 swcrypto=1

as per the Arch Linux wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … ss#iwlwifi).

Hopefully this fixes things...

#11 2021-08-16 10:43:46

yutanagano

UPDATE: Unfortunately my computer has become seriously screwed up now... I think bluetooth has something to do with it.

Today, as I was again carrying my laptop back into my room, I think it reconnected with a bluetooth mouse that I have on the desk in my room. This caused all mouse-like inputs to freeze up (neither my bluetooth mouse nor my laptop's trackpad were able to make my on-screen pointer move). Keyboard inputs were still working though, so I issued a "reboot" command in a terminal. This caused a freeze (screen went black but laptop was still on and stuck- wouldn't shut down). I forced it to shut down by pressing down the power button. After this incident, my computer's UEFI system can no longer even recognise my Arch install, so I no longer have an obvious way to boot back into my system. So in short, I can no longer even boot! I am currently writing this post from a second computer, as my laptop has now become unusable.

Since I don't really know what broke, and how to get back into my Arch install, so I am thinking of reinstalling from a fresh install.

Also- revisiting a comment from Seth's post a while back:

seth wrote:

While in my UEFI boot menu I realised that there is an option called "Fast Boot" which is set to "enabled". Since I don't even have Windows on this system right now, I don't know how relevant this setting is, but is this something that I should worry about/could this be related to my issues?

Before re-installing I will turn this off and see if it makes any difference...

#12 2021-08-16 14:19:57

seth

While in my UEFI boot menu I realised that there is an option called "Fast Boot"

This just skips a bunch of HW selftests, it's not related to what windows does and irrelevant in this context.

Your boot and root partition(s) are likely corrupted, you can inspect and pot. fix them offline by booting either the installation iso or a dedicated live distro like "grml".
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fsck

#13 2021-08-17 03:05:48

yutanagano

Thanks again for the reply seth. smile

Understood about the UEFI fast boot. I'll just leave it on then.

seth wrote:

Your boot and root partition(s) are likely corrupted, you can inspect and pot. fix them offline by booting either the installation iso or a dedicated live distro like "grml".
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fsck

I've already actually reinstalled (I didn't have much on the system to begin with so I didn't lose much! So it's all good) but thank you so much for the tip, I will remember this for the next time something like this happens.

#14 2021-08-17 03:12:36

yutanagano

UPDATE: So my suspicion is that my troubles were a combination of:
1) bad interactions between iwlwifi and my wifi chip
2) bad interactions between my wifi and bluetooth cards

So now I have now added a third option in my modprobe.d iwlwifi config as per advice from the Arch Wiki concerning wifi/bluetooth coexistence on intel cards (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … ss#iwlwifi https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … existence)

---
options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 swcrypto=1 bt_coex_active=0

So far so good, I've been messing with suspending and connecting and disconnecting with various wifi access points and bluetooth devices, and nothing has crashed yet.

Again, I will mark this as solved if a week goes by with no crashes.

Last edited by yutanagano (2021-08-17 03:14:26)

#15 2021-08-21 03:07:03

yutanagano

UPDATE: My iwlwifi crashed again. This time it crashed out of nowhere when I was in the middle of using my computer.

This time, reboots don't seem to rescue the wifi chip at all. I'm a bit stumped.

output of "sudo journalctl -b" for current boot (wifi is dead):
https://pastebin.com/FFuh2q0Y

In the log, iwlwifi seems to say something about "Not valid error log pointer 0x00000000 for Init uCode" and "Failed to start INIT ucode: -110". I've looked up some threads with similar issues but they seem to be for people who don't have the correct firmware installed, whereas for me I do have them installed and in fact it was working until about an hour ago...

I've added some more options to /etc/modprobe.d/iwl.conf to no avail:

options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 swcrypto=0 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0 uapsd_disable=1
options iwlmvm power_scheme=1

Hmm...

#16 2021-08-21 04:31:11

yutanagano

UPDATE: After powering down my laptop and restarting after 15 minutes, the wifi was back. However, after using the laptop for a while wifi suddenly became unavailable again during use.

Output of "sudo journalctl -b" in current boot:
https://pastebin.com/Z0vyH9pJ

The log is showing something about a microcode error. I do have intel-ucode installed, so it should be updating the intel microcode on every boot...

Also, I tried manually re-installing the relevant iwlwifi firmware from intel, but it hasn't helped.

#17 2021-08-21 07:03:15

seth

The microcode error is from the iwlwifi firmware, 9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode

There's a couple of versions in /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-*
You could move away the newest one (46) and should™ then be using 43
See whether that improves things and continue the process.

Because of:

This time, reboots don't seem to rescue the wifi chip at all.
…
After powering down my laptop and restarting after 15 minutes, the wifi was back.

Does the system get overly hot?
D.U.S.T. error?

#18 2021-08-21 07:28:32

yutanagano

Ah- I see. That's interesting, because I think when I checked the intel firmware page it said that my network controller chip is supported by a much earlier version of the firmware (v. 34): https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en … eless.html.

This is my network controller as described by lspci:

00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 10)
	Subsystem: Rivet Networks Killer(R) Wireless-AC 1550i Wireless Network Adapter (9560NGW)
	Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 16
	Memory at c6418000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
	Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Capabilities: [40] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [80] MSI-X: Enable- Count=16 Masked-
	Capabilities: [100] Null
	Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
	Capabilities: [164] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0010 Rev=0 Len=014 <?>
	Kernel modules: iwlwifi

Does this mean that I should uninstall everything that is newer than version 34? I had assumed that the kernel would know which one to apply and therefore as long as I had a copy of 34 in my /lib/firmware I would be fine.

Last edited by yutanagano (2021-08-21 07:29:30)

#19 2021-08-21 07:35:34

seth

No, the v46 firware is supposed to support the chip and should work.
The problem is with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RyYrs5tu60 - so trying whether an older firmware doesn't exhibit this problems is worth a shot.

#20 2021-08-23 01:16:58

yutanagano

Shouldland... lol fair enough!

Firstly:

Does the system get overly hot?
D.U.S.T. error?

I don't think so... the system hasn't been getting particularly hot, and I also don't think any fluctuations in temperature correlate with the crashes.

If anything, I've noticed that the crashes seem to only happen when I'm editing documents using libreoffice software, although I don't know if this is a real correlation or if it's just placebo.

Anyhow, I waited until my wifi chip/firmware crashed again, and then I attempted to downgrade the firmware in use by moving the suspect version /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode into /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0_deactivate/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-43.ucode.

I rebooted to see if the error would be resolved but it seems the operating system still can't access my wifi chip for some reason, although I think it did load the older v.43 this time (system log):
https://pastebin.com/8347UWBw

Should I keep trying older and older versions?

Many thanks for the continued help!

#21 2021-08-23 07:10:38

seth

There's a pattern in the journals, so here's a wild guess:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Haveged
https://wiki.debian.org/BoottimeEntropyStarvation

#22 2021-09-07 06:58:19

yutanagano

Thank you seth for all of your help and suggestions. You've been very kind and helpful!

So I think my issue is *sort of* solved? I tried sticking with these settings in my modprobe.d:

options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 swcrypto=0 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0 uapsd_disable=1
options iwlmvm power_scheme=1

I haven't had any issues for the past week.

When I tried these same settings earlier a few weeks ago, I thought that they didn't help- but maybe that's just because I only "tested" these settings during the window of time when my wifi driver was really acting up, and I didn't give them enough time.

Anyways, I don't think it will be easy to find a better way around my wifi issue, so I think it's best I mark this thread as "solved". I'll update again if something goes wrong, but otherwise I'll leave it here.

Thanks again everyone smile

Board footer