You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-14 13:57:38

Lancelot

Oracle database 18c installation is tough

I don't exactly how to do this.
The wiki itself, on this topic only tells about installing oracle 11gr1 which btw is kind of outdated now....

I am a student so can't get my hands over other versions, So I am stuck with 18c version only...
Any help would be appreciated..:)

P.S.: I am relatively new to arch (yeah it's awesome) but not so to linux, so go easy on me, will ya?

#2 2021-09-14 14:38:07

eda2z

Re: Oracle database 18c installation is tough

It has been many years since I had to install Oracle on linux -- version 12c was the last. I could usually find what I needed at https://oracle-base.com/. Most of the info is geared towards Oracle Linux and Fedora but I was able to convert it to Arch. There is also a way to download older versions from Oracle Cloud services if you have an account. Note that it was *never* easy to install Oracle.

#3 2021-09-14 14:57:54

Lancelot

eda2z wrote:

Note that it was *never* easy to install Oracle.

Yeah, I really see the point. I went through a lot of sites but they don't seem to work on arch.

Anyway I am thinking running Oracle linux on virtualbox and install it database there. I am just gonna learn about Databases, so I believe that should do.

Thanks for the help mate !

#4 2021-09-14 16:35:13

twelveeighty

Unless you want to get deep into the guts of storage partitions, filesets, etc. of Oracle, I recommend PostgreSQL or MariaDB instead. Installation and maintenance on those DBs is widely documented and you're also not dealing with closed-source licensing, etc. Both of those are in the standard Arch repos and the Wiki is up to date.

#5 2021-09-14 19:00:39

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: moving to AUR Issues

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2021-09-16 14:04:42

eda2z

You say you are a student, if the only purpose is to learn SQL then go with twelveeighty's suggestion for either PostgreSQL or MariaDB. I spent over 20 years with Oracle and there is not much (maybe nothing) that cannot also be done in PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL even provides facilities for converting your Oracle database to PostgreSQL. However if your class is using Oracle then I think you should try to install it. Oracle's programming language PL/SQL is different syntactically from PostgreSQL's language PL/pgSQL which means your stored procedures, functions, triggers, ... will look different. If you have the time it would be a good learning exercise to figure out how to install it in Arch. If not then I would recommend using Fedora in a virtual machine and following the instructions at oracle-base.com. I installed many different versions of Oracle on Fedora/Red Hat just by following the instructions there. Just the 2 cents of a retired software developer...

#7 2021-09-19 06:12:48

Lancelot

eda2z wrote:

If not then I would recommend using Fedora in a virtual machine and following the instructions at oracle-base.com. I installed many different versions of Oracle on Fedora/Red Hat just by following the instructions there.

Well I did it. It's good now.

eda2z wrote:

Just the 2 cents of a retired software developer...

By the way, Thanks you very much for the time mate that's was very elaborate.

And thanks everyone for trying to help me out.

Board footer