You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-14 21:11:15

JohnD87

New SSD for my laptop: Encrypted ZFS or BTRFS + Luks or?

Hello everybody,

i have currently a 1 TB Samsung Evo Nvme disk and a smaller slower 512 GB NVme in my Laptop.
It currently runs with Luks encryption + Btrfs but i am thinking about replacing it with an encrypted ZFS.

I will now migrate to a new 2 TB disk.....
I don't really like BTRFS. It is unintuitive in handling snapshots and space and i don't like that it doesnt support encryption out of the box.

On the other hand: ZFS seems to be more risky because it is not a part of the kernel. I am unsure about Performance and i am low on memory very often already (32 GB, but pretty often all in use).

What do you think? Any better options?

I definatly want a FS that survives every crash even on high load, supports snapshots and i need encryption.

Thanks.

#2 2021-09-15 07:29:59

Kinrar

Re: New SSD for my laptop: Encrypted ZFS or BTRFS + Luks or?

ZFS, when correctly configured, doesn't strictly require lots of memory, but it is true that for best performance, it might be an issue if you're nearing your total capacity. Although ZFS should handle that and release memory when needed, you can also reduce the ARC max size (zfs_arc_max).

As for the risky part, ZFS is very stable, DKMS makes it quite easy to install and upgrade, it should work fine, even if it is indeed not built inside the kernel.

#3 2021-09-15 15:17:06

cloverskull

What are your goals?

Honestly, when it comes to filesystems, after testing configuring everything a handful of times I landed on ext4 - rock solid stable, no guesswork, no issues. It's also fast and I never seem to have any issues. Currently I have lvm on luks with ext4 and everything works great.

#4 2021-09-15 15:18:30

Kinrar

Well they mentioned needing FS snapshots, ext4 does not provide that

I agree though that is perfectly fine to go with ext4 instead of any fancy new fs if you don't require it! I personally use ext4 over lvm (over dm-crypt) on most of my machines, sometimes zfs, sometimes mergerfs over ext4.

Last edited by Kinrar (2021-09-15 15:20:10)

Board footer