You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-17 20:30:49

Sanras

Jittery/jumpy touchpad with libinput 1.19.0-1 on Dell Inspiron 15

Just upgraded my packages this morning, and all day it felt like the touchpad was off. Checked pacman's logs, and noticed that libinput was one of the packages that got upgraded, to version 1.19. Sure enough, downgrading this package to the previous version 1.18.1 fixed my touchpad and made it work normally again. Added to ignorepkg for now, hopefully the issue is solved eventually.

Basically, the issue is that the touchpad "jumps" around a bit when moving it from rest. If I take my finger off the touchpad and then try to move the cursor very slightly, I am unable to. It stays in one place, and when I move my finger enough millimeters, it just jumps a bit in the direction I'm moving it. On 1.18, I can put my finger on the touchpad, and am able to very slightly move the cursor, almost pixel-by-pixel, without the cursor jumping around. Also to note, this issue only happens when first moving the cursor. If I already moved the mouse and have my finger on the touchpad already, I can make those tiny adjustments. I can't do so when first putting my finger on the touchpad, after I took it off.

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 15 5593, with i5-1035G1, Intel UHD Graphics G1. Running latest KDE Plasma 5.22.5, on X11.

#2 2021-09-28 03:37:40

LinusaurusHex

Re: Jittery/jumpy touchpad with libinput 1.19.0-1 on Dell Inspiron 15

I can confirm an identical behavior on my own machine (Dell XPS 13 9380), although I'm running GNOME 40.4 instead of KDE. It occurs with both Wayland and X11. You can actually observe it at the GDM login screen, too. It may be related to the new "hold" gesture implemented in the 1.19 release, as running the following command revealed that a spurious BEGIN_HOLD_GESTURE event was being fired at the beginning of every touchpad movement:

libinput debug-events

However, downgrading libinput to 1.18.1 and xf86-input-libinput to 1.1.0 didn't actually fix the problem for me, only improve the behavior slightly. Interestingly, it only seems to affect movements that are to the left or downwards after the cursor has been still. The cursor behaves normally when moving to the right or upwards. I can also confirm that this problem does not occur when using an external mouse, only the touchpad.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as it's really annoying and I have no idea how to fix this now. I also tried downgrading the kernel to as far back as 5.12.9 and it didn't help.

#3 2021-09-28 07:02:47

dogknowsnx

Did you try libinput 1.19.1-1?

Notifications for Arch Linux package updates
RI - Rest your Eyes and Self

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Maynard James Keenan

#4 2021-09-28 21:02:49

Sanras

@LinusaurusHex - Hmm, weird. Rolling back to libinput 1.18.1 did fix the issue for me. I did accidentally break my system by installing the xf86-input-libinput upgrade while ignoring the libinput upgrade, which completely broke all kb and mouse input devices. Had to boot into live iso and roll it back via chroot. But currently, everything behaves normally. If I upgrade xf86-input and libinput, the issue is there again. I'm running linux 5.10.69-1-lts BTW. Anyway, when I have time, I'll  get around to filing a bug report upstream.

#5 2021-09-29 07:21:38

LinusaurusHex

dogknowsnx wrote:

Did you try libinput 1.19.1-1?

Yes, I'm on the latest libinput.

Sanras wrote:

I'm running linux 5.10.69-1-lts BTW.

I'm on 5.14.8. I wonder if there's something going on between the kernel and libinput. I'm totally ignorant as to how that library works. Strange that the rollback didn't help me, though. Thanks for the feedback, in any case. Please drop a link here if you file the report.

Board footer