You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-20 21:10:46

Batou

Replacing youtube-dl with yt-dlp in AUR packages?

Hi all,

I'd like to replace youtube-dl with yt-dlp and I'm wondering what the best way to go about it is.  youtube-dl hasn't been updated in a 'long' time and some sites have stopped working with it. It seems that youtube-dl developers have gone silent (rumor is that some of them have received cease & desist papers) and if there is an update, who knows what code it will contain. Removing it from my system seems like a wise choice until this matter clears up.

yt-dlp is a fork of youtube-dl that's being actively developed and they've merged all the ignored patches and have fixed a lot of non-working sites. Seems to me that this is where the youtube-dl community has moved.

Has anyone tried replacing all the youtube-dl dependencies with yt-dlp? Any issues? Is there a better way than to manually edit PKGBUILDs of affected packages?

Thanks for any advice.

Please vote for all the AUR packages you're using. You can mass-vote for all of them by doing: "pacman -Qqm | xargs aurvote -v" (make sure to run "aurvote --configure"  first)

#2 2021-09-20 21:36:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Replacing youtube-dl with yt-dlp in AUR packages?

Batou wrote:

I'd like to replace youtube-dl with yt-dlp and I'm wondering what the best way to go about it is

Clone from the aur and run makepkg, just like any other AUR package.  Why do you think this would require anything different?

Batou wrote:

Is there a better way than to manually edit PKGBUILDs of affected packages?

Why would you need to edit any PKGBUILDs?  What do you mean by "affected packages"?  You just install yt-dlp from the AUR, that's it.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2021-09-20 21:53:07

flyingscorpio

I think he means packages that depend on youtube-dl

#4 2021-09-20 21:53:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

And that wouldn't matter.  yt-dlp provides youtube-dl.

EDIT: oops, I guess I saw that provides in yt-dlp-drop-in.  But just the same, part of the yt-dlp group provides youtube-dl.

Last edited by Trilby (2021-09-20 21:56:43)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2021-09-20 21:57:31

flyingscorpio

Anyway, you could just have both installed

#6 2021-09-20 21:59:14

Batou

Trilby wrote:

And that wouldn't matter.  yt-dlp provides youtube-dl.

yt-dlp does not seem to provide /usr/bin/youtube-dl so symlinking it would be the obvious choice to me. Some packages, for example mpv-git, have it as optional dep. I watch 99% of online videos with mpv and youtube-dl. I have two packages that require youtube-dl and I can't remove it without breaking them.

flyingscorpio wrote:

Anyway, you could just have both installed

I don't want youtube-dl on my system if I can help it.

Last edited by Batou (2021-09-20 22:00:09)

Please vote for all the AUR packages you're using. You can mass-vote for all of them by doing: "pacman -Qqm | xargs aurvote -v" (make sure to run "aurvote --configure"  first)

#7 2021-09-20 22:00:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Sorry for the confusion, please see my edit.

#8 2021-09-20 22:04:56

Batou

Trilby wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, please see my edit.

Got it. Thanks Trilby!

Board footer