You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-17 17:49:51

NaNaN

vmd Required but not found

I'm having a time installing to a nvme drive on a HP Pavilion x360.

There is very little information for me to go off of so I'm hopeful that someone can point me to something that can help.

I just learned that the drive in this laptop is NVME and not a regular SSD.

I have secure boot disabled in the BIOS and have installed Arch to the correct drive, but I can't get it to boot. I found a single post where someone tried to install Arch to the same kind of laptop and used the "vmd" hook to get it to boot but after adding "vmd" to the hooks array I'm still not able to get it booted.

Can anyone suggest anything for me to try?

Thanks

#2 2021-09-17 18:16:33

Slithery
Administrator

Re: vmd Required but not found

vmd isn't a hook, it's a module.

You should only need it if for some strange reason you have set your drive to RAID mode instead of AHCI in your firmware menu.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2021-09-17 18:20:30

NaNaN

Thanks Slithery. A quick search says to add the module to "/etc/modules-load.d". Would this be right?
Thanks again

#4 2021-09-17 19:15:37

Slithery
Administrator

No. You need to add it to the modules in mkinitcpio.conf

But why not just set the drive mode correctly in your firmware instead?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2021-09-20 12:30:08

NaNaN

Slithery, I didn't know I could set the drive mode. Is there a document point me to that will show me how to do this?

Searching for drive mode doesn't give me anything back.

Thanks!

#6 2021-09-20 13:01:06

Slithery
Administrator

NaNaN wrote:

Slithery, I didn't know I could set the drive mode. Is there a document point me to that will show me how to do this?

Every motherboard is different. Just read the manual to find out how to get to the menu (usually incorrectly referred to as your BIOS).

aur - dotfiles

#7 2021-09-20 13:24:17

NaNaN

Slithery, I see what you're referring to now; I thought this was an Arch specific thing.

I've already tried switching drives in the BIOS. Here's the thing... The lapop uses nvme and what's happing is, after I boot from the Arch install USB, I see the nvme drive listed as sdb instead of sda.

I can still install the OS to sdb but after the installation, how do I boot from sdb? I think I need to change the mapping in Arch but because it's UEFI, have no idea where to do this at. If it were a BIOS install, I could probably just change fstab, but this isn't the case with UEFI; the GUIDs are mapped somewhere but I don't know where.

Can you tell me how to do this?

#8 2021-09-20 14:44:56

Slithery
Administrator

NaNaN wrote:

You read the wiki...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Persis … ice_naming

aur - dotfiles

#9 2021-09-20 14:46:21

Slithery
Administrator

Slithery wrote:
NaNaN wrote:

You read the wiki...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Persis … ice_naming

Although if you've been following the Installation Guide UUID's are already used. No further action should be needed.

aur - dotfiles

#10 2021-09-20 15:06:36

NaNaN

Thanks Slithery. I will have a go at this and see if this solves it. I used this very document last week but the system still wouldn't boot. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

I'll give this a go again.

Thanks again for the help!

#11 2021-09-21 11:57:44

NaNaN

Slithery, I tried following the Persistent Block Devide Naming document you linked to and now I am able to at least boot through my BIOS. When I go into the BIOS boot menu, I can now see the EFI. When I select it, I get the normal GRUB menu and everything boots as expected.

Can you suggest anything that will allow me to boot without having to rely on BIOS boot menu?

I already tried reinstalling GRUB but I still need BIOS boot menu to access the EFI and boot from.

Thanks again for your help

#12 2021-09-21 12:13:52

V1del
Forum Moderator

Check your boot menu for an option to mark a specific entry as the default. Normally GRUB would do this change but if you have a BIOS/UEFI implementation that does not honor GRUBs request you'll need to set that within the UEFI firmware itself.

#13 2021-09-21 12:30:56

NaNaN

V1del, thanks. Unfortunately, there is no such way in the BIOS to select anything as the default boot entry.

I'm really trying hard to understand why it is that installing Linux, really any flavor these days, is such an arduous task with UEFI and NVMe. It seems that with the implementation of UEFI and manufacturers like HP to forgo Legacy Mode, it almost makes loading Linux an impossibility. Is it just me? Why is this?

So, is the only way to boot Arch through my BIOS boot menu then?

Thanks again.

#14 2021-09-21 12:41:56

Lone_Wolf

Try https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unifie … efibootmgr .

You could also try another bootloader that is able to directly load the kernel like EFISTUB, ReFind or systemd-boot .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#15 2021-09-21 12:46:55

V1del
Forum Moderator

Not necessarily, maybe post

efibootmgr -uv

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services so we can see what entries are there and listed. Issues in this space are indeed often because the UEFI manifacturers only to the bare minimum to boot Windows. If UEFI is implemented properly it very much facilitates and makes multi-boots easier than what it used to be.

One thing you should always be able to do is either overriding the Windows boot loader with GRUB (but this will be overwritten on Windows updates) and/or populating the fallback boot path: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unifie … ble_drives

#16 2021-09-21 13:17:34

NaNaN

@Lone_Wolf, thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into these.

@V1del, I have the laptop at home but I'll post the output later after I get home. Also, I won't be able to use pastebin services from that device because the network card isn't recognized. I'll just write it out to a file and post it. Thank you very much for the explanation on the implementation of UEFI. Just for the record, I bought this laptop to obliterate Windows and run Linux on, so there isn't any Windows boot loader for me to worry about. So, to be clear, I don't want any part of Windows on this laptop.

Thanks for linking the Default Boot Path document. This is the exact path my BIOS boot menu drops me to so that I can boot Arch. (esp/EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.EFI)

Board footer