You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-22 15:06:10

LuizF

Internet doesn't work after reboot

I've mounted all partitions, entered chroot, and installed with pacstrap the basic packages.(including iwd with pacman)

And then, when i reboot, i connect in my wi-fi with iwctl.

However, i can't download anything, even though it is connected.

When i ping google.com, it returns  "Temporary failure in name resolution"

And when i try pacman -Syu, it returns:
"core.db failed to download"
"error: failed retrieving file "core.db"" from mirror.osbeck.com : Could not resolve host: mirror.osbeck.com"
(And this error repeats for each mirror in the list)
"error: failed to synchronize all databases (invalid url for server)"

I haven't changed the mirrors file, and it has about 20 mirrors, which i found weird, since the last time i installed arch, it had hundreds of links, with a lot commented.

Any help?

#2 2021-09-22 15:34:21

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Internet doesn't work after reboot

What exactly did you do to configure DNS/network in general? You can enable iwd's built-in support: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Iwd#En … figuration or you'll need to enable something else, you'll probably at the very least want to enable systemd-resolved regardless, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-resolved#DNS

#3 2021-09-22 15:52:14

LuizF

V1del wrote:

What exactly did you do to configure DNS/network in general? You can enable iwd's built-in support: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Iwd#En … figuration or you'll need to enable something else, you'll probably at the very least want to enable systemd-resolved regardless, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-resolved#DNS

Well, i didn't do anything to configure network, i just downloaded iwd via pacman in the chroot, and activated it in my system after reboot.

That's how i did it last time i've installed arch.

Do i need to do smthg else? i tried to enable iwd's built in, as you said, but nothing's changed.

#4 2021-09-23 08:06:39

rel_uctance

Im also having this same issue. I just did a full update and I suddenly can't connect to internet anymore after a reboot.

My wifi drivers seem to be working, I can connect to wifi and ethernet just fine. I even installed and enabled systemd-resolve, and it does seem to pickup DNS servers properly. But trying to ping google.com and I get "Name or service not known", and trying to browse or download doesn't work anymore. I'm not entirely sure what's causing this but I don't think it's either my drivers or my DNS setup.

#5 2021-09-23 12:53:32

LuizF

rel_uctance wrote:

Im also having this same issue. I just did a full update and I suddenly can't connect to internet anymore after a reboot.

My wifi drivers seem to be working, I can connect to wifi and ethernet just fine. I even installed and enabled systemd-resolve, and it does seem to pickup DNS servers properly. But trying to ping google.com and I get "Name or service not known", and trying to browse or download doesn't work anymore. I'm not entirely sure what's causing this but I don't think it's either my drivers or my DNS setup.

Yep... I still didnt' solve my problem...

If you achieve smthg, tell me, please, i've already trying everything i know

#6 2021-09-24 01:39:58

rel_uctance

LuizF wrote:
rel_uctance wrote:

Yep... I still didnt' solve my problem...

If you achieve smthg, tell me, please, i've already trying everything i know

Will do.. I'm honestly tempted to make another fresh install because I cannot figure out what's wrong. I'm literally pulling my hair rn. Drivers, DNS setup, Firewall, Network interfaces, Kernel version etc. All because of an update and I don't know which package caused this. The only way I'm able to connect to internet is through the installer and arch-chroot just to update or install packages.

#7 2021-09-24 03:10:39

ewaller
Administrator

Don't do a fresh install.  It is a waste of your time.

Both of you, what is the output of find /etc/systemd/system
?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2021-09-24 04:56:48

rel_uctance

ewaller wrote:

Don't do a fresh install.  It is a waste of your time.

Both of you, what is the output of find /etc/systemd/system
?

Here's my output

/etc/systemd/system
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/systemd-timesyncd.service
/etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/mpd.socket
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/systemd-resolved.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/remote-fs.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ntpd.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/mpd.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dhcpcd.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/windscribe.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/tuned.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ufw.service
/etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants/NetworkManager-wait-online.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service
/etc/systemd/system/bluetooth.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/bluetooth.target.wants/bluetooth.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.bluez.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.timesync1.service
/etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service

#9 2021-09-24 07:55:30

V1del
Forum Moderator

You have multiple conflicting services enabled. If you want to use NetworkManager you do not need dhcpcd enabled nor systemd-resolved enabled explicitly.

#10 2021-09-24 10:03:49

rel_uctance

V1del wrote:

You have multiple conflicting services enabled. If you want to use NetworkManager you do not need dhcpcd enabled nor systemd-resolved enabled explicitly.

Even without dhcpcd and systemd-resolved, it's the same issue. I only have them installed and enabled rn because I was trying out what works and which doesn't. Initially, I only had NetworkManager and it worked completely fine until an update came and suddenly internet stops working entirely.

edit: I've reverted back to using only NetworkManager and I can confirm, still doesn't work. Even with NM managing resolv.conf, so idk if it's a DNS issue.

Last edited by rel_uctance (2021-09-24 10:18:02)

#11 2021-09-28 12:24:26

teckk

How do you have your machines network interface configured? Are you using a static IP address or do you get one from a DHCP server? You need an private IP address, a route to the outside world, and a DNS. How do you have network manager configured? Is everything on the same subnet? Can you bring the interface up and configure it manually? Just saying doesn't work does not tell much.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NetworkManager
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … n/Ethernet

Look at:
man ip
man ip-route

Board footer