You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-24 15:59:57

wintermute

Agpgart missing?

Hi,

I've just installed AL and I got everything else working except 3D acceleration in Matrox Millennium G400. Any help would be welcome smile

My configuration:

> modprobe.conf

alias char-major-10-175 agpgart
install mga { /sbin/modprobe -k agpgart; } ; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install mga

> XF86Config

Section "Module"
    Load       "dbe"    # Double buffer extension
    Load       "extmod"
    Load       "type1"
    Load       "speedo"
    Load       "GLcore"
    Load       "glx"
    Load       "dri"
    Load       "xie"
    Load       "ddc"
    Load       "bitmap"
    Load       "freetype"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Matrox Millennium G400 Dual head AGP"
    VendorName  "Matrox"
    Driver      "mga"
    ChipSet     "mgag400"
    VideoRam    32768
    Option      "AGPMode" "2"
#   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
#   Option      "mga_sdram"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
   Mode 0666
EndSection

> rc.conf

MODULES=(!usbserial !ide-scsi snd-sbawe snd-pcm-oss)

DAEMONS=(syslogd klogd !pcmcia network netfs crond)

Thanks in advance! smile

"I propose we leave math to the machines and go play outside." -- Calvin

#2 2004-03-24 19:41:34

wintermute

Re: Agpgart missing?

If I recompile the kernel, where should I put those "-O2 -march=pentium3 -pipe" flags? Is it enough if I choose Pentium III from the menuconfig? I used the .config as a template.

And how do I include Supermount and Bootsplash? Do I need to include agpgart? I didn't find agpgart from the menus.

I already started compiling ("round 1!") so hopefully I'm little wiser soon. All help & suggestions are still welcome smile

#3 2004-03-24 19:59:08

wintermute

Is it like this?

export CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
export CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
export CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Ok. Now I'll shut up smile

#4 2004-03-25 03:55:36

jlowell

wintermute,

You inquire:

Is it like this?
Code:
export CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
export CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
export CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Ok. Now I'll shut up

Your optimization flags belong in /etc/makepkg.conf. Take a look at /etc/makepkg.conf and edit it appropriately. You should have no trouble with "-march=pentium3 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" unless you're running the 2.6.3 kernel, in which case you very well may have trouble building glibc and, perhaps, some other packages. I use -O3 and have had no trouble; you may or may not want to be that aggressive. 

jlowell

#5 2004-03-25 08:15:41

wintermute

jlowell wrote:

Your optimization flags belong in /etc/makepkg.conf. Take a look at /etc/makepkg.conf and edit it appropriately.

Thanks!  big_smile

I compiled the kernel and I got it running. It didn't fix my problem though. 3D acceleration is still not working... I must be doing something wrong.

Maybe Gentoo is better for installing multimedia devices? They seem to have quite good documentation also.

#6 2004-03-25 13:24:24

wdemoss

Try adding the module for your display driver to your MODULES line in rc.conf. For instance I have nvidia in mine, I guess you would put mga.

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#7 2004-03-25 15:00:12

wintermute

wdemoss wrote:

Try adding the module for your display driver to your MODULES line in rc.conf. For instance I have nvidia in mine, I guess you would put mga.

Thanks! smile

Friends told me to put motherboard specific agp module into modprobe.conf. Something like this:

install agpgart /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install agpgart && { /sbin/modprobe intel-agp; /bin/true; }

Don't know if it works, but I'll try these suggestions as soon as I get home.

#8 2004-03-25 15:26:14

jlowell

wintermute,

I compiled the kernel and I got it running. It didn't fix my problem though. 3D acceleration is still not working... I must be doing something wrong.

Maybe Gentoo is better for installing multimedia devices? They seem to have quite good documentation also.

Direct Rendering under Character Devices in the 2.4 kernel (it may be somewhere else in 2.6) is the area with which to tinker when dealing with 3D, or at least that's how I've understood things. I have a G550 and two G450s here on this network but do not game, so it's been sufficient for me to configure the kernel sans all of that. But you may want to look at your kernel configuration to make certain that that area is addressed properly. And there is wdemoss' suggestion also.

I think it unlikely that, ultimately, Gentoo might be considered superior to Arch respecting multimedia devices. I say this to you both as a former Gentoo user and as one who makes very little use of multimedia, though. In this business knowing how to configure things is the key. What they can configure we can configure, eh?

jlowell

#9 2004-03-25 17:11:14

robot5x

wintermute wrote:

Do I need to include agpgart? I didn't find agpgart from the menus.

I'm still not clear about whether you have agpgart set up in your kernel or not - so apologies if you do and this sounds patronising.
You';re using the mga driver in XF86config so you need to make sure it's in the kernel. It's all under Device Drivers/Character Devices in kernel 2.6 - build agpgart and then your motherboard specific module. Then under Direct Rendering Manager select the g400 module (mga). Stick both of these in rc.conf and it should all work fine.

#10 2004-03-25 17:45:48

wintermute

robot5x wrote:

I'm still not clear about whether you have agpgart set up in your kernel or not - so apologies if you do and this sounds patronising.

No no, I'm really so lost that this is embarrasing  lol

I haven't compiled intel-agp nor agpgart.

robot5x wrote:

You';re using the mga driver in XF86config so you need to make sure it's in the kernel. It's all under Device Drivers/Character Devices in kernel 2.6

Now it should be, I selected it before I compiled the kernel.

robot5x wrote:

- build agpgart and then your motherboard specific module.

I ran modules_install. It stated: "Install all modules". Is that ok?

robot5x wrote:

Then under Direct Rendering Manager select the g400 module (mga). Stick both of these in rc.conf and it should all work fine.

In modules? Ok. I'll try that  smile

#11 2004-03-25 22:33:32

wintermute

It seems that I don't have the agpgart module. How is it built? Was it buried somewhere in the menuconfig? I'm still not very familiar with make.

Thanks in advance! smile

#12 2004-03-26 08:50:52

robot5x

First, the best way to recompile your kernel by a mile is to use ABS. It's really simple, there's a guide here to compiling a custom kernel -
http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/ … guide.html
so all you need to do is go to /usr/src/linux-* and do make menuconfig like normal.
For agpgart select
< > /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) , it then brings up a list of chipsets, so choose the one appropriate to you.
Next select the next option down
[ ] Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
then select 
< >   Matrox g200/g400 (NEW)
Once done save the .config to the kernel directory in ABS, and run makepkg as root. This creates a nice package you can install or remove easily. Then it's just a case of installing it with pacman (be aware that it overwrites your current stuff in /boot so you may want to back them up and create a new lilo entry in case it goes wrong). Reinstall lilo, then it's just a case of putting the modules in rc.conf to load - agpgart mga.
Hope this helps.

#13 2004-03-27 21:38:58

wintermute

robot5x wrote:

For agpgart select
< > /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) , it then brings up a list of chipsets, so choose the one appropriate to you.
Next select the next option down
[ ] Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
then select 
< >   Matrox g200/g400 (NEW)

No luck. I'm propably missing something. I'll give up for the moment.

Board footer