You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-29 23:23:28

misharash

WiFi hardware blocked, or hardware airplane mode after suspend

After I suspend my laptop and wake it up, WiFi and bluetooth cease working, saying hardware airplane mode is activated and I need to toggle it with hardware switch. However, Fn+F12 (airplane icon) has no effect and there don't seem to be any other options.
Laptop is HP 340S G7, its wireless card is Intel AX 201, it runs daily updated Arch Linux with GNOME 40.4.
There are many such questions on the internet, however none has the same laptop model and the only thing that helped so far is disabling suspend, including on lid closure (I did the latter with gnome tweaks easily). I can generally live with that, but sometimes feel like there might be a more satisfying solution.
Short about the other suggestions I tried:

• Adding "acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT makes WiFi and touchpad not work after reboot. Many other Windows versions and Linux do the same thing. Some options, e.g. 'Windows 2016', don't seem to break anything but don't help with the suspend issue.

• Systemd units/scripts that disable WiFi before suspend (I figured in my case it'd be removing iwlwifi module) and enable it again after don't help.

• Blacklisting/removing hp-wmi and/or hp-wireless modules didn't help.

• Actually, I just have been able to remove iwlmvm (including iwlwifi), hp-wmi, hp-wireless, wmi-wmof modules before suspend, but after it I loaded iwlmvm back and hardware airplane mode was on again.

• setkeycodes scripts don't make any difference, they seem to solve the problem of switch to software, and not hardware airplane mode.

• Installing linux-firmware-git or linux-firmware-iwlwifi-git didn't help, the default linux-firmware seems quite fresh already.

Last edited by misharash (2021-08-29 23:34:29)

#2 2021-09-24 10:19:50

liuk78

Re: WiFi hardware blocked, or hardware airplane mode after suspend

Hi misharash
i have the same laptop and I have the same issue.
I have tried to apply all your solutions too but also for me these didn't solve the wirless issue.

If you find a solution please post it here, I'll do the same smile

Thanks

#3 2021-09-24 11:16:06

V1del
Forum Moderator

That's a BIOS/firmware bug, update your BIOS/UEFI

#4 2021-09-24 15:23:25

liuk78

Thanks V1del

my firmaware
~$ sudo cat /sys/class/dmi/id/bios_version
F.21

on hp site I found (https://support.hp.com/it-it/drivers/se … c/30268685)
F.21 Rev.A    31.3 MB    11 ago 2021 (windows version)

But I don't understand if them are the same version or F21 is older than F.21 Rev.A

#5 2021-09-24 23:43:25

misharash

Thanks V1del.

My BIOS/EFI firmware is clearly older:
~$ sudo cat /sys/class/dmi/id/bios_version
F.13

However, I don't have Windows installed, which makes BIOS update for this model fairly troublesome. It'd be clearly better to know beforehand whether it can actually help, and liuk78's message makes me doubt that.

Last edited by misharash (2021-09-25 02:15:56)

#6 2021-09-25 14:51:36

misharash

So I've actually updated BIOS (via installing Windows temporarily, nothing else seemed to work, even with other non-HP Windows laptop) to F.21 Rev.A from HP website and I guess my situation now is identical to liuk78's:

% sudo cat /sys/class/dmi/id/bios_version
F.21

and the hardware airplane mode is still there.

Board footer