You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-13 10:51:49

LoermansA

[SOLVED] Lenovo Legion 5 (15ACH6H) minor GPU related problems

Hi all,

I've recently gotten the above mentioned laptop. It has hybrid graphics and two bios options for choosing the gpu; Discrete (selecting the nVidia 3060) and switchable (selecting the Ryzen 7's built in Vega as primary GPU)

Both are working more or less, but some things work only with the discrete GPU and some things only when running switchable graphics.

When running the discrete nVidia GPU, connecting an external monitor works and I can extend my (KDE Plasma) desktop. However power saving (sleep) and brightness controls do not. Letting my laptop sleep is fine, but after waking up, the internal laptop display stays dark. External monitor works though and the laptop runs fine.

When running switchable graphics power saving and brightness control works, but using an external monitor doesn't. Xrandr sees the monitor and I can enable it, but it stays black. Prime-run works with switchable graphics when running a game or stuff like blender, so there's that.

I'm thinking this laptop is just too new and I'll have to wait for linux support to catch up. And it is in a fairly good state as it is. But if anybody has an idea, or can point me in the right direction (don't know what logs would be appropriate) that would be appreciated.

[loermansa@laptop-arjan ~]$ lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Root Complex
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3814
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3a81
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

Regards,

Arjan

Last edited by LoermansA (2021-10-05 08:07:38)

#2 2021-09-18 21:32:13

yoursred

Re: [SOLVED] Lenovo Legion 5 (15ACH6H) minor GPU related problems

You should set the bios option to switchable and use nvidia-prime, here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PRIME

#3 2021-09-28 11:24:16

geekmiki

Hi, same laptop and same issues. I am also interested in finding out how to run switchable graphics mode with an external monitor.

#4 2021-10-05 08:07:12

LoermansA

yoursred wrote:

You should set the bios option to switchable and use nvidia-prime, here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PRIME

Thanks for the suggestion. I've managed to get it working by first setting the bios to switchable graphics as yoursred said. After that I added two files:

[loermansa@laptop-arjan ~]$ cat /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup 
#!/bin/sh
# Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0

and

[loermansa@laptop-arjan ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf 
Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
    Option "PrimaryGPU" "yes"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/nvidia/xorg"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

After that sleep and brightness both work.

Thanks for the help!

Arjan

#5 2021-10-05 22:39:25

geekmiki

Thanks, worked perfectly with only the Xorg conf.

Board footer