You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-07 20:04:20

k0rnh0li0
Website

SiLabs CP210x USB to UART Driver - Modified for building on Arch

Good afternoon,

I am mostly sharing this here for posterity, to save time for others who may search for this in the future.

The CP210x driver provided by SiLabs does not build on Arch Linux. The Makefile and provided documentation assume Ubuntu and Red Hat, so I have changed the Makefile to point to the correct location of the kernel headers on Arch.

Also, the provided driver code is incompatible with the latest kernel headers. As of commit c5d1448, the usb_serial_driver struct expects the callback for the remove event to have a return type of void, not int. I have modified their code to conform to this.

After these changes I was able to build the driver and install the module, and so far it works without problems. Small tweaks but hopefully this saves someone else some time later.

You can clone the modified source from this repo:
https://github.com/k0rnh0li0/cp210x-arch

#2 2021-10-08 08:32:13

Raynman

Re: SiLabs CP210x USB to UART Driver - Modified for building on Arch

I don't think this really belongs here. Github repos also tend to be indexed by search engines "for others who may search for this in the future". And without an answer to the obvious question "why use this and not the driver included with the kernel?" it might actually mislead people into thinking that the kernel doesn't provide this driver at all.

Board footer