You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-02 15:24:08

8000ice

Gnome-keyring missing Default keyring

Hi all,

I've been trying to get VSCode liveshare working for a while now, with very weird results. I tried installing the liveshare extension in a fresh vscode install (visual-studio-code-bin from the AUR), and when I try to start a new session, it almost works perfectly. It asks for me to sign in with github, it works, then it throws the error: "Writing login information to the keychain failed with error 'The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files'.". As soon as I click the X on the notification, it logs me into github without a problem. From there, I can click "Share" in the liveshare extension tab, and it starts a session. The error is a little alarming, but it works so I don't complain. But trying to connect to someone else's liveshare session doesn't work as smoothly, as it frequently disconnects, and doesn't actually keep the fact that I'm signed into github, so I'm anonymous to the host of the liveshare session. If I try and install gnome-keyring and seahorse as many fixes say to do, it just takes longer, as it has to wait for the timeout to tell me that I can't connect to the keychain (or something, I'm still a little confused about gnome-keyring in general). When I open up seahorse, there's only a "Keys" tab, and a "Certificates" tab. No passwords listed, no Default keyring or anything. I used to have the default keyring, but it somehow got deleted. Initially, when I had the "Writing login information..." error before and installed gnome-keyring, it would prompt me for a password for the default keyring, so I changed the password to nothing like many forum posts say to do, but I think that got rid of the default keyring. Is there any way to bring that back?

I'm running i3wm with no desktop environment nor display manager.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and sorry for the huge block of text, this has been frustrating me for a while.

#2 2021-10-10 17:17:01

papa6

Re: Gnome-keyring missing Default keyring

Hi 8000ice,
I haven't the solution right now for you, but if anyone has any idea, that would be fine.

However, it seems those last days there could be a problem with gnome-keyring 1.40.0-1 (release 03/27), glib2 2.70.0-1 (release 09/18) and pam 1.5.2-1 (release 09/09). I am not sure, but I'm facing a part of your problem: I should log again every time and gnome-keyring stopped working as usual.

#3 2021-10-12 06:38:19

papa6

Re: Gnome-keyring missing Default keyring

Hi 8000ice,
I don't know about you, if it's going to solve your problem, but you can try this operation:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GNOME/Keyring#PAM_step
That solved my problem with Gnome keyring.

/etc/pam.d/login

#%PAM-1.0

auth       required     pam_securetty.so
auth       requisite    pam_nologin.so
auth       include      system-local-login
auth       optional     pam_gnome_keyring.so
account    include      system-local-login
session    include      system-local-login
session    optional     pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start

Add auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so at the end of the auth section and session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start at the end of the session section.

Source: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=269992

If your problem is solved, don't forget to change the title of the topic by adding "solved".

Board footer