You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-13 21:32:35

machinedgod

vimdoc.hook requires vim executable - runs on system without vim

Hey all,
I had

[ALPM] call to execv failed (No such file or directory)

, and after checking the log - realized it happened after `vimdoc.hook`.
After checking the hook itself, I see its calling `vim`:

Exec = /usr/bin/vim -es --cmd ":helptags /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/doc" --cmd ":q"

But, I don't have `vim` installed on my system - only `vim-runtime`.

Is this an error in the upgrade?

#2 2021-10-14 07:09:49

seth

Re: vimdoc.hook requires vim executable - runs on system without vim

But, I don't have `vim` installed on my system - only `vim-runtime`.

Why? vim-runtime exists to split vim and gvim (and have them share the common parts)

Is this an error in the upgrade?

Arguably the package might lack a cyclic dependency (on something that actually provides vim) because of this hook.

#3 2021-10-20 02:50:11

machinedgod

Why? vim-runtime exists to split vim and gvim (and have them share the common parts)

Hm, I can only correctly answer why I don't have `vim` (or `gvim`) installed - I use `vis` as my primary editor.
Why do I have just vim-runtime (at all)? I can very vaguely recall that `vim-runtime` was a dependency of something else, awhile ago. I just can't recall what, and why.

I suppose I can remove it, and see if something breaks.

Edit:
I remembered after some thinking: I needed a commandline tool that was able to convert binary data to and from string representations, and I think I used `xxd`, which might've been a part of vim-runtime at the time. Or, I installed `vim` and then forgot to remove all dependencies too.

Last edited by machinedgod (2021-10-20 02:55:03)

#4 2021-10-20 15:22:26

twelveeighty

As seth already said, it's technically a missing dependency when vim-runtime contains a hook that calls an executable that the package itself does not provide, but the practical thing is to uninstall vim-runtime, if you're not using anything that depends on it. Obviously vim-runtime is meant to capture common components between gvim and vim and can reasonably assume either one of them is also installed.

Since there can never be enough text editors in the world, I should try out 'vis' then, I guess.

Board footer