You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-14 10:02:40

mads1101

[SOLVED]Boot Failed - **checking media** error [Lenovo Ideapad E41-25]

I am using arch linux on a lenovo ideapad E41-25
laptop for the past one month. it's so great to use arch linux, all things seems pretty good until, today when I opened my laptop and tried to connect to network using `network-manager applet' but, it throws some I/O error and after that I restarted my laptop since, no i/o operations are working. when I booted the device it prompts a **CHECKING MEDIA** message and the error message shows **Default boot device missing or boot failed ** and when I went into check in boot menu, there was no arch entry under efi section.

How to solve this error because, I need the contents of that harddisk. is it possible to solve this error??

Last edited by mads1101 (2021-10-17 04:01:54)

#2 2021-10-16 22:12:21

backyardbanana

Re: [SOLVED]Boot Failed - **checking media** error [Lenovo Ideapad E41-25]

Sorry for the delay but first thing we are going to do is not panic.
Sometimes grub fails after a update its fine i have had kernel panics and grub problems before. So we are going to first make a live usb. This is so we can chroot and hopefully repair the boot loader. So grab a usb and plug it in. So now i am assuming the system is not encrypted so we are going to mount your system I  assuming you have a base system with regular partitions.
                       mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi
                       swapon /dev/sda2
                       mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
                       arch-chroot /mnt
Now we can start fixing GRUB if that is the issue we are going to reinstall and reconfigure grub
                      grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=esp --bootloader-id=GRUB ### This s the base install sometimes motherboard manufactures require a --removable flag at the end.
                      grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Then reboot should hopefully be done if not reply and we can try and work it out and maybe recover the important data. Not to lecture but please always take ups.Especially with arch

Last edited by backyardbanana (2021-10-16 22:20:03)

#3 2021-10-17 02:28:28

mads1101

yeah, it worked. I found the solution myself already, it was a faulty bios which didn't detect the harddisk but, the boot failed error happened again I just repeated the process except resetting bios. I wonder what causes this problem, how can I find it because it's been only one day since, the last boot failed error. The commin thing in both the issue is I got input/output error like icons are not showing mouse clicks are not working and then when I restart the machine, it throwed boot failed error. Evwn though it's working now, I wanted to solve this problem once and for all. if I have to find out what caused the error, how do I do it???

#4 2021-10-17 02:59:26

nomorewindows

Um...that's PXE starting up

Yeah because something on the hard drive isn't booting.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#5 2021-10-17 04:22:29

mads1101

I checked for errors using journalctl and there are two kernel errors

```tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: can't request region for resource [mem 0xe7bb6000-0xe7bb9fff]
     kfd kfd: amdgpu: STONEY  not supported in kfd```

what I have to do to get rid off this errors.

#6 2021-10-17 08:58:36

mads1101

it happened again it's the third boot failed error in two days. before boot failure the inputs always stopped working and throws i/o error. for reference, check this out pic0
pic1

I think it's the problem with harddrive how to solve this????

#7 2021-10-20 14:51:42

mads1101

if any of you came across these type of problems do check the reddit links given below for more clarified answers and if your problem not solved then do post your question in the forum, reddit or any other platforms you're in.

Boot failed issue

Harddisk not mounting issue

Board footer