You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-02 16:36:58

nomorewindows

Freeze during pacman update

Not sure what is going on, thought it was just because I had a network disconnect sshing into the box while running pacman.  The output of pacman ceases.  Then I go to the console and it is unresponsive.  Had to reboot last week, and couldn't reboot back into arch without an external drive to boot from.  Even after checking everything, still couldn't boot back up without assistance from another drive.  And some of my files that were being updated were hosed.  Had to reinstall some files and don't think I've gotten them all yet.

Today I ran pacman update and just at the console it did the same thing instead of sshing in, because my ssh even though installed, isn't working.  It ceased any further pacman output and the thing is unresponsive again.  I can ping it and it responds, and nmap it and shows open ports, but nothing happens when I connect to the ports.  Something weird and not sure what to make of it.

My / and /usr are both xfs.

Finally did get a boot after waiting out PXE attempt to boot.  Not sure why it doesn't want to boot from disk normally.

Getting messages like file too short.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2021-10-02 16:42:04)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#2 2021-10-02 19:29:46

seth

Re: Freeze during pacman update

Before you do anything else, ensure that the disk isn't falling apart, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Smart
You can run this from a live distro like grml, https://grml.org/

#3 2021-10-03 01:23:02

nomorewindows

Smartd is running, and says my second drive, not my main drive seems to have a couple of bad sectors.

I'm running a realtime kernel, maybe something wrong with it.

Can't tell what's going on here.

Log into one terminal and everything shows up as a file, but then open another tty and there are no files anywhere. 

I can type mount and shows all mounts and can transit through existing directories, but no files or zero length files.

Looks like it might be xfs corruption of some kind.  It'll hide files when something isn't right.

It doesn't work right even in a chroot, same behaviour.  So something has gone goofy with something, and mounting partitions show all files are still there.

I can go into midnight commander and see my files, but not from bash or sh.

There are some errors about various libraries that ldconfig can't vouch for.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2021-10-03 03:47:12)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4 2021-10-03 05:49:37

nomorewindows

Well I decided I'd save the important files in /etc and wipe / and /usr and this trick with pacman https://linuxhint.com/reinstall_all_pac … rch_linux/ and I'll be half back on the road again.

Can't figure out what I nuked for sure, so starting over worked quicker than anything.  All other partitions like /home were of course separate, so data was safe.

Look ma, no mouse.

#5 2021-10-10 20:11:18

nomorewindows

It seems pacman is not as zippy as it used to be.  It seems to hang on 99% while downloading packages.  Could just be me.  It used to just zip all the way to 100% and then on to the next package.  Maybe it has something to do with the debian style overall status total progress indicator.

Look ma, no mouse.

#6 2021-10-10 20:13:54

seth

Could it be that it hangs during the fsync when files are supposed to be written to disk and this correlates w/ IO errors in the dmesg? …

#7 2021-10-10 21:48:15

Allan
Pacman
Website

pacman does not do an fsync.

#8 2021-10-12 17:09:45

nomorewindows

seth wrote:

Could it be that it hangs during the fsync when files are supposed to be written to disk and this correlates w/ IO errors in the dmesg? …

More likely on file close.  Something holding up at towards the last step.

Look ma, no mouse.

#9 2021-10-12 20:47:25

seth

Are there I/O errors in dmesg when using pacman and did you maybe replace the XferCommand (eg. w/ wget since Allan pointed out that pacmans curl implementation doesn't fsync)
If not, do you use parallel downloads?

#10 2021-10-14 19:35:55

nomorewindows

seth wrote:

Are there I/O errors in dmesg when using pacman and did you maybe replace the XferCommand (eg. w/ wget since Allan pointed out that pacmans curl implementation doesn't fsync)
If not, do you use parallel downloads?

I don't think I'm using XferCommand on any of my machines (and no parallel).

And if the thing locked up during pacman, there wasn't really any way to dmesg.  But I think I checked on one time that looked like it was going to lock up, and I think I checked and don't remember seeing anything.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2021-10-16 16:35:04)

Look ma, no mouse.

#11 2021-10-14 19:40:45

seth

nomorewindows wrote:

And if the thing locked up during pacman, there wasn't really any way to dmesg.

Humm?
You run "dmesg -w", you run "pacman -Syu" you watch what happens?
(In case of "but I'm using the console and can't switch TTYs fast enough", you might be looking fro tmux/gnu screen)

#12 2021-10-16 16:33:57

nomorewindows

Running pacman from another machine today.

Started -Syu and walked away (didn't do dmesg -w cause I hadn't read that message yet).  Came back and the thing was locked. 

When rebooted, didn't have any trouble starting up.

Looked at pacman.log and found that it had completely run before locking up.

Not just one particular machine apparently, even though I hadn't had any trouble beforehand.

Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer