You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-07 09:48:34

Seb74

Where are the packagemirrors???

Hi smile

I'm trying to decide if I should try Arch AMD64 (GUESS I need AMD64 for Cool 'n Quiet to work but not sure, anyway why not use the 64 bits I have), but I just cant find any info on where the packages are so I can browse what is available and not.

I want a simple non-bloated server running Apache/PHP/MySQL/Samba and nothing more (sshd of course).
Guess a base-install CD is what I need to keep the system as clean and minimalistic as possible. If I could only find the packages big_smile

Thanks smile

#2 2006-10-07 14:17:08

archuser

Re: Where are the packagemirrors???

There's some information in the Wiki. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cur … velopement

Hope that helps.

Intel i7-920 (stock), ASUS P6TD-Deluxe, AMD R9 270X, RAM: 6GB

#3 2006-10-07 15:56:55

Seb74

Ok, so this is the URL I'll add (if its not already there) to pacman.conf after I've installed and want to grab some packages?
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/current/os/x86_64/

Dont know the difference between current and extra, but I guess current is the normal thing.

Didn't find any Apache-php connection there. There's usually some php-mod-apache or something, that connects the two. In here there are just one regular Apache-package and one regular php-package and nothing else.

There is also usually some connection/interface between MySQL and PHP, called mysqli-something, but I dont find that either.
Are there like no packages at all for Arch, or are the done in a completely different way???

Thanks smile

#4 2006-10-07 16:07:19

rawfuzz

Seb74 wrote:

GUESS I need AMD64 for Cool 'n Quiet to work but not sure

You don't need a 64bit OS for Cool 'n Quiet to work. You just need it enabled in the bios and kernel (freq. scaling).

#5 2006-10-07 16:17:54

Seb74

rawfuzz wrote:
Seb74 wrote:

GUESS I need AMD64 for Cool 'n Quiet to work but not sure

You don't need a 64bit OS for Cool 'n Quiet to work. You just need it enabled in the bios and kernel (freq. scaling).

Yeah lets hope its easy, I've found some threads about it and didn't get half of what was said in them...modules here and there and userland-stuff and kernel modifications and whatever.....lets hope it works by itself in some magical way wink

But first of all I need to know if I can run Apache+PHP+MySQL on it, as you can see in my post before this one.....

Didn't find any Apache-php connection there. There's usually some php-mod-apache or something, that connects the two. In here there are just one regular Apache-package and one regular php-package and nothing else.

There is also usually some connection/interface between MySQL and PHP, called mysqli-something, but I dont find that either.
Are there like no packages at all for Arch, or are the done in a completely different way???

#6 2006-10-07 19:51:56

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

You should also enable the extra repo.

See Arch64_FAQ for details.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2006-10-07 23:43:12

Seb74

Lone_Wolf wrote:

You should also enable the extra repo.

See Arch64_FAQ for details.

Ska man peka på bägge två i pacman.conf???

Point in /etc/pacman.conf to current and extra on archlinux.org or one of its mirrors.

Jag vet inte ens vad current vs extra är....vad man ska installera från.
Men är som sagt mest orolig för att jag inte hittar nåt apache-mod-php eller nåt php-mysqli överhuvudtaget. Vet inte om folk kör Apache+PHP+MySQL på Arch, eller om det kanske är extremt bökigt och man måste kompilera själv och fixa sad

#8 2006-10-08 08:13:46

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Change the current and extra part  in /etc/pacman.conf to look like this  :

[current]
# Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first
Server=ftp://ftp.ds.hj.se/pub/os/linux/archlinux/current/os/x86_64
include = /etc/pacman.d/current

[extra]
Server=ftp://ftp.ds.hj.se/pub/os/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64
Include = /etc/pacman.d/extra

(I've put links for swedish mirrors, as i think you are from sweden)

For installing apache/php/mysql see this wiki page : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LAMP

I don't have much xperience with lamp servers, but what is described there should be all that is needed to get things up and running.

Edit : I recognized part of your post just above was in a scandinavian language, searched for a few of the words you used and got many links to swedish sites.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#9 2006-10-08 09:00:13

Seb74

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Change the current and extra part  in /etc/pacman.conf to look like this  :

[current]
Server=ftp://ftp.ds.hj.se/pub/os/linux/archlinux/current/os/x86_64
include = /etc/pacman.d/current

[extra]
Server=ftp://ftp.ds.hj.se/pub/os/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64
Include = /etc/pacman.d/extra

(I've put links for swedish mirrors, as i think you are from sweden)

For installing apache/php/mysql see this wiki page : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LAMP

I don't have much xperience with lamp servers, but what is described there should be all that is needed to get things up and running.

You noticed I'm from Sweden by how I spell my English or? Cool big_smile
Thanks for the help smile

But this is what I mean, how and where whould I find these Swedish mirrors to add in pacman if you hadn't jumped in here and told me?
Take a look at for example OpenBSD....like this very easy to find link.
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/OpenBSD/
Its so crystal clear everything. Enter the version you want, and you'll very easily find the image, and also the packages for each version and each architecture...very nicely and logical organized.
Why not so with Arch, and like 99% of all other Linux dists? Why are the mirrors so cluttered and hard to find, when we all need to enter them into some packagemanager?

LAMP? What is that? I've heard about LAMP before. Is it just a common name for installing Apache/PHP/MySQL? Looked pretty simple....dont know if I'll get the very old mysql-interface when talking mysql from php, or if I'll get the newer mysqli (mysql improved). Usually there are some php-mysqli package linking them, but in Arch no such things seem to be there, you just install every app by itself and then add some lines in the configs and its done.

Thanks again smile

#10 2006-10-08 21:43:44

Seb74

I added ftp://ftp.ds.hj.se/pub/os/linux/archlin … os/x86_64/ under Current in pacman.conf, but when I try to run this it just says "No such package" sad

pacman -Av samba-3.0.23C-1.pkg.tar.gz

But we can all enter that ftp and see that it is there.... Strange sad

EDIT: Off topic, but I dont seem to have any sshd running big_smile
Strange, even the very minimalistic and secure OpenBSD comes with sshd up and running, and even allowing root login. Here everything is turned off. Suits me fine by the way, if I only knew how to enabel all shit and start installing stuff big_smile

#11 2006-10-08 21:52:22

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

after changing mirrors in pacman.conf you need to run pacman -Sy to update the DB.
Then just run pacman -S samba

#12 2006-10-08 21:58:00

Seb74

Lone_Wolf wrote:

after changing mirrors in pacman.conf you need to run pacman -Sy to update the DB.
Then just run pacman -S samba

Yeah sorry, its supposed to be -S and not -A.
I'm running --sync --refresh now, I think its the same as -Sy.

Strange stuff with sshd though, that I'm missing it, since its not to install from the online packages....dont know where to get it from then. Dont even have any ssh* files at all on my entire drive sad

EDIT: Oh yeah, there is a OpenSSH in the packagelist. Am I supposed to install it manually? Arch for some reason leaves it out of the baseinstall?

#13 2006-10-08 22:06:16

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Pacman -Ss sometext

is useful for searching. the package for ssh is called openssh

#14 2006-10-08 22:15:11

Seb74

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Pacman -Ss sometext

is useful for searching. the package for ssh is called openssh

Yeah, I noticed smile
So, Arch leaves it out of the install for some reason....funny big_smile

Anyway, Samba is now installed. But, contrary to installing apps in BSD I get no help whatsoever as of what to do to get them running automatically with the system, or what to write to start the daemons.
Reading "man smbd" seems to be the only info available, and it sends me to files not even in the Arch install (like /etc/rc and /etc/inetd.conf), and even if I were to find the files or their Arch-alternatives, what would I write in them?
No help at all came in the output of my Samba install, sadly sad

#15 2006-10-08 22:19:43

liem
Website

The wiki is helpful, especially this article.

Have fun.

BTW: OpenBSD asks you during the install if you want to run sshd.

EDIT: Sverige äger. ^^

Sebastian  A. Liem

#16 2006-10-08 22:43:31

Seb74

liem wrote:

The wiki is helpful, especially this article.

Have fun.

BTW: OpenBSD asks you during the install if you want to run sshd.

EDIT: Sverige äger. ^^

Hehe big_smile

One could easily think that every Linux/UNIX comes with ssh enabled, or at least, asks you during install, but ok, Arch doesn't. Nothing wrong with it, just confused the hell out of me....specially when I searched the packages and somehow missed it was in there (probably looked as s-packets instead of searching for real in Firefox).

Anyway, Samba is up and running and I get great speeds (one of the problems I had with OpenBSD). I dont have a clue how to enable it to run at boot, but its just two commands to run to get it up (starting smbd and nmbd) so if I reboot once every year or so I can run it manually. And I guess also with Apache and MySQL....dont think the end of those installs will give any help whatsoever of what to write in what files to start with the system.

I dont even know if I'll bother at all getting Cool 'n Quiet to work later  on, if such basic tasks is so hard, how hard will a confirmed problematic task be then for me big_smile

#17 2006-10-09 00:33:11

rawfuzz

FFS, Google & RTFM!.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_PowerNow%21

[bad day] ... [/bad day]

Board footer