You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-21 19:30:24

Lightman

Installing CDE: A file is missing?

Hi,

I am trying to install the CDE graphic interface on my system and can't seem to get it to work, I'd like to ask for advice on where I am going wrong.

I downloaded it from the AUR and checked that I had all the dependencies, verifying each one with...

pacman -Qs <target>

Confident I had them all, I ran the makepkg command and the package appeared to build successfully, leaving me with a .zst file I could then install with pacman.

The package installed without any issue. The notes said I should run...

sudo systemctl start rpcbind

and then...

sudo systemctl start dtlogin

But... The dtlogin service fails; saying it can't find the file...

/usr/dt/bin/dtlogin

I checked and have to agree, there is no such file. But, I had not seen any errors during my installation process. Does anyone know where I have gone wrong?

Regards,

L.

#2 2021-10-21 19:56:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Installing CDE: A file is missing?

That sounds like an error in the service file for dtlogin - /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin is a rather nonsensical path, and it almost certainly should be /usr/bin/dtlogin.  I'll try to confirm this in a moment.

EDIT: that requires a small handful of other AUR packages as dependencies.  I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole just to test, but the service file is not from upstream but was from the AUR maintainer.  Fix the path in the service file and try again - if it then works, report this to the AUR maintainer ... and hope for the best as it's not clear if it's still actively maintained or not.

Is there any reason you really want to use CDE?

Last edited by Trilby (2021-10-21 20:01:16)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2021-10-21 22:58:27

Lightman

Thanks for the reply.

The directory /usr/dt/bin/ contains a number of files which relate to the CDE environment, but I've checked and there is no dtlogin binary on my system. I'll post a note on the AUR page.

My reason for installing the CDE was originally simply nostalgia. I noted that it was on the AUR and thought it worth trying. I wrote my first Linux - well, Solaris - commands on a Sun SPARCstation far too many years ago. I couldn't see myself using CDE day-to-day, but it would be nice to see those dulcet pastel tones again. When it installed without error but did not work, I started to be more curious about where I had gone wrong.

I guess, if I were that desperate, I could configure XFCE to kind of pass off as CDE.

Regards,

L.

#4 2021-10-21 23:38:12

Morn

Lightman wrote:

I guess, if I were that desperate, I could configure XFCE to kind of pass off as CDE.

https://github.com/NsCDE/NsCDE would also be an option, which is based on FVWM. It is in the AUR, although I have not tried it yet.

I have a CDEbian (based on Debian) image in AQEMU for nostalgia reasons though. Ah, almost like Solaris. Those were the days. smile

Last edited by Morn (2021-10-22 18:12:41)

#5 2021-10-22 11:21:45

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: moving to AUR Issues

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer