You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-07 15:54:25

introspekt

mkinitcpio in chroot environment?

I obviously decided to install Arch at the wrong time because I missed the notice about mkinitcpio, so it's caused me a bit of trouble 8)

Due to the fact I chose an all XFS system, and the mkinitcpio changover and whatever happened that caused me not to fix it before a reboot, I am stuck with an unbootable system.

Basically, my kernel26.img does not boot with the XFS module, causing a Kernel Panic  :cry:

I've chrooted in, fixed up the mkinitcpio .conf file and realised that when I run it, it's trying to use the kernel of the gentoo disc I used to chroot (which also happens to not have a XFS module either).

I tried messing with the paths (arch is mounted to /mnt/arch) but because it's chrooted absolute paths aren't going to work (using the -b and -k flags).

I'm just wondering if theres any hope for me  yikes I mean, as much as I enjoyed getting it running, I'd rather not have to do it again!

So, is there a way to run mkinitcpio and fix my kernel26.img?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I thought I would actually add my error messages:

Attempting to create root device '/dev/hdb3'
ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/hdb3'
    unknown
ERROR: root fs cannot be detected. Try using the rootfstype= kernel parameter.
kinit: Unable to mount root fs on device dev(0,0)
kinit: init not found!
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Also, if in the GRUB loader I add rootfstype=xfs, will it boot and can be fixed natively? (I'd test it but it's 2am and I have work tomorrow)

Damn linux  lol

#2 2006-10-07 17:54:43

_adam_

Re: mkinitcpio in chroot environment?

did you change the initrd line in menu.lst to look for kernel26.img instead of initrd26.img ?

if you did and it still doesnt work, you can change the line in grub to kernel26-fallback.img

#3 2006-10-07 18:01:00

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

have you still got old kernel in /var/cache/pacman/pkgs

just a thought ..

Mr Green

#4 2006-10-07 18:40:12

noriko
Website

try using the -k and -c cmd options to choose the kernel version and config file manually ... the default is to use the currently running kernel version which is why it's trying to use thr Gentoo kernel ... mkinitcpio --help fro more options ...
good lukk...

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#5 2006-10-07 19:05:25

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

& that lol

Mr Green

#6 2006-10-08 01:05:46

introspekt

Silly me overlooked kernel26-fallback.img..

BUT

Booted up Arch using the fallback, ran mkinitcpio with xfs added to the modules, specifying the image (/boot/kernel26.img), rebooted to test.

Errored again due to filesystem.

So I tried fallback again, and errored due to filesystem.

What did I do?  yikes

#7 2006-10-09 14:47:53

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Try passing the rootfstype=xfs parameter.  The current klibc "fstype" app which detects these things doesn't handle XFS last I checked.  I'm sure it can be added, but I'd rather wait for the klibc people to do it.

Try removing the filesystems hook and just add xfs to the MODULES array, then pass rootfstype=xfs on the kernel command line.

Board footer