You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-29 11:43:31

millus

USB TV stick unusable after system suspend

I have a Hauppauge dual HD DVB stick plugged into a USB port of my PC, it works fine after normal system start.
But after a suspend and resume it will not work anymore:
lsusb will actually still list it, lsmod will still show drivers are loaded and w_scan will still perform a scan but won't find any channels, and the green LED on it will stay off instead of being on, and players like VLC will give an error message when trying to tune in to a channel.
To fix it I have to manually unplug it and plug it in again, then the LED goes green and it works normally again.
Any idea how to fix this?

Last edited by millus (2021-10-29 11:44:55)

#2 2021-10-29 12:22:48

seth

Re: USB TV stick unusable after system suspend

dvbsky?

No solution but have seen the same situation ever since.
iirc a long time ago I could simply unbind the device and rebind it around the S3, but that doesn't work anymore either.
Make sure to not use the device while suspending (I've a hook to kill suspicious vlc processes) or you can kiss the USB bye-bye and will have to reboot (and are lucky if it's not a hard reset)

#3 2022-01-20 19:12:30

frumble
Website

Re: USB TV stick unusable after system suspend

I have the same problem. Use the tool usbreset to reset its connection after resume.

Possible systemd service file (lookup your device id with "lsusb"):

[Unit]
Description=Restart DVB-T2 receiver
After=suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target suspend-then-hibernate.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/usbreset /dev/bus/usb/003/004

[Install]
WantedBy=suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target suspend-then-hibernate.target

Save this as /etc/systemd/system/dvbtusbstandbyrestart.service, executable.

And another tip: Try tvheadend and its Kodi plugin, way better TV experience than with VLC.

But beware: There currently is a kernel issue starting with Linux 5.15.3 leading to hangs with this method. I’m in talks with kernel developers.

Last edited by frumble (2022-01-20 19:14:34)

Board footer