You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-29 15:28:20

Fingel

Dell XPS 15 9510 fails to suspend: Nvidia can't change power state

Hello,

I have a new Dell XPS 15 9510 and I've been struggling to get suspend working consistently. The laptop is configured as follows:

Intel Core i7-11800H
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 Ti

I am using all Vanilla Arch packages, nothing from the AUR. I am running Gnome on Wayland. I have tried enabling/disabling nvidia-persistenced unit to no effect, as well as the nvidia-suspend, nvidia-resume systemd units.

When trying to suspend, the screen blanks for a second and then displays the following:

nvidia 000:01:00.0: can't change power state from D3cold to D0 (config space inaccessible)
PM: pci_pm_suspend(): nv_pmops_suspend+0x0/0x20 [nvidia] returns -5
PM: dpm_run_callback(): pci_pm_suspend+0x0/0x160 returns -5
nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PM: failed to suspend async: error -5
PM: Some devices failed to suspend, or early wake event detected

With the last 4 lines repeating over and over.

In this state, I can swtich to a TTY or back to my graphical session and do some investigation. The `nvidia-smi` command hangs and returns no output. Trying to shut down the machine with halt returns the error: Failed to talk to init daemon.

I want to say journalctl also contains a message similar to this:

NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 79, pid=0, GPU has fallen off the bus.

But I can't verify right now because my journal is corrupt (probably from hard resets).

My suspicion is that this has something to do with nvidia power management. Today I will research how to possibly disable it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Compiling some links with possible related info:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/b … /112912/17
Thread on the nvidia forums with a similar issue, no clear resolution.

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/dr … edhat.com/
Patch for the kernel (can't tell if it's been merged or not?) that seems to address how the power states are changed.

Last edited by Fingel (2021-10-29 16:08:52)

Board footer