You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-09 17:34:30

ruhar

Problems on a fresh install

Hi there.
I've been using Arch on and off for the last six months or so and I just tried to do a fresh install.  I'm having several problems after the initial reboot.
I am able to boot to the new 2.6.18 kernel but the boot time is very slow due to the following problems:

connection to the ata1 give the following msg: "port is slow to respond, please be patient"  then fails after several retries.

same thing for ata2

Then the file system check fails.  At that point I'm prompted to repair manually.

I did a normal ftp based install, and configured the system as usual.  The only thing I did differently was to edit the GRUB menu.list file and replaced initrd.img with kernel26.img

Any ideas?

Thx.

#2 2006-10-09 21:00:04

rayjgu3

Re: Problems on a fresh install

????
things id look into
1 try booting kernel26-fallback.img or some other kernel ,does other distro or os give any thing similar in errors?
2 check cables to drives hard, cd dvd ,,floppy while your at it
3 since its a fresh install try a new install you dont have much time vested so give it a go but do something diffrent , dont do the same expecting diffrent results

just a few thoughts

#3 2006-10-09 22:25:52

ruhar

Re: Problems on a fresh install

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried multiple installs as well as reverting back to the kernel26-fallback.img and I get the same results during boot.  I have tried several distros on this machine and this is the first time that this type of issue happened.  I'm going to put Slackware back on this and see what happens.

Board footer