You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-04 05:33:59

ndavilam

Interested in Arch with SysV

Hi friends,
I am very interested in having an arch/SysV distro and have thought of taking the ISO 2011.08.19, but have had some problems doing it from virtualbox.
I think the errors are due to no valid repository for 2011.08.19 with pacstrap.
Do you think this has a solution?
is it possible to do what I have in my mind?

Last edited by ndavilam (2021-11-04 05:41:20)

#2 2021-11-04 05:40:02

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Interested in Arch with SysV

Yes, using an ancient deprecated init system on a rolling release distro that is deeply integrated with systemd sounds like a great plan...

Just install Slackware.

Last edited by jasonwryan (2021-11-04 05:40:51)

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2021-11-04 05:44:35

ndavilam

I am currently with Slackware-Current, but there are some unstable things still.
And to be honest I love the following distributions:
1.- Slackware
2.- Devuan
3.- Arch / Manjaro.

I know it's crazy but at least I would like to try.

jasonwryan wrote:

Yes, using an ancient deprecated init system on a rolling release distro that is deeply integrated with systemd sounds like a great plan...

Just install Slackware.

#4 2021-11-04 06:06:06

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch is a rolling release. Not one you freeze in time from ten years ago. Seriously, this is stupid.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2021-11-04 12:13:41

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Using a different init than systemd is perfectly fine in Arch, i.e. pacman makes no assumptions on what you use. udev, sysusers, tmpfiles will also keep working. There's certainly better options than sysv though - even Busybox.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Init

Maybe try something new like GNU Shepherd.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#6 2021-11-04 12:42:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You certainly can use sysV init with arch.  There's a wiki page specifically for that:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SysVinit

Follow that page.  Trying to install from a 10 year old iso, however, is just completely absurd and will never work.  Use a current iso - the iso is just what you boot into, not what you install.

That said, the way this is presented suggests you are probably new to arch, and trying to run sysV init on arch when you don't have much background will likely be really painful, and you will not be able to get much support on the forums (not that'd be unwelcome, just few people will be prepared to help).

I believe openRC has a bit of both philosophical and functional similarity to sysV init but is still widely used and will be easier to find support for (technically openRC can / does use sysvinit as the actual init program, but with sysvinit on it's own you'll have to write your own initscripts from scratch).

Last edited by Trilby (2021-11-04 12:48:34)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2021-11-04 13:34:16

progandy

Trilby wrote:

That said, the way this is presented suggests you are probably new to arch, and trying to run sysV init on arch when you don't have much background will likely be really painful, and you will not be able to get much support on the forums (not that'd be unwelcome, just few people will be prepared to help).

I believe openRC has a bit of both philosophical and functional similarity to sysV init but is still widely used and will be easier to find support for (technically openRC can / does use sysvinit as the actual init program, but with sysvinit on it's own you'll have to write your own initscripts from scratch).

There is an active community that has chosen to build a distro based on arch and alternative init systems (primarily openrc, but also runit or s6). Their distribution is called artix and their forums may be of more help if you want to set up your own system like that. As I never had the desire to switch from systemd (after the migration), I do not know more about them.

Last edited by progandy (2021-11-04 13:38:25)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#8 2021-11-04 20:04:37

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Their distribution is called artix and their forums may be of more help if you want to set up your own system like that.

Most of their efforts are centered about removing all of systemd when there's no need to. It makes things needlessly complicated, and they drifted pretty far from Arch at this point (it uses its own repos).

Last edited by Alad (2021-11-04 20:06:27)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

Board footer