You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-05 09:24:01

snackmuncher

OS won't boot after installation through archinstall

I have a thinkpad T440p, I tried installing the OS through the archlinux helper,
My boot settings are UEFI and boot mode diagnostic (quick boot disabled).
I tried enabling quick boot and change uefi to legacy and to both, legacy AND uefi.
Still, I get a boot screen where I can pick what to boot (not grub), and arch doesn't boot. It's in the list, but doesn't boot.

#2 2021-11-05 11:58:24

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: OS won't boot after installation through archinstall

What does "doesn't boot" mean? No error messages? Some frequent candidates are a drive configured in RAID mode which you'll want to switch to AHCI or adding the vmd module to your MODULES=(vmd) line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and rerunning mkinitcpio -P from a live disk. Other possibilities are a generally broken EFI implementation, from a live disk and a chroot into the system what are you outpus for

efibootmgr -uv
cat /var/log/archinstall/install.log

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services

#3 2021-11-05 14:34:24

snackmuncher

"What does "doesn't boot" mean?"
Sorry, I may have phrased my post poorly but:
"Still, I get a boot screen where I can pick what to boot (not grub), and arch doesn't boot. It's in the list, but doesn't boot."
It doesn't even get into grub at all, I only get the bios' bootloader from what I can unserstand.
Anyway, I'm trying to boot a live, I tried two but both won't boot in the os, I tried tails and mint, I get the OS logo showing that it did boot the live, but then tails gets stuck on the logo, mint gives me the following:

/init: line 49: can't open /dev/sr0: No medium found
Unable to find a medium container a live file system
Attempt interactive netbook from a URL?

Last edited by snackmuncher (2021-11-05 14:41:32)

#4 2021-11-05 18:15:24

d_fajardo

/dev/sr0 is your CD/DVD drive. Are you trying the live boot from an optical drive?
Have you checked the BIOS if the drive you're trying to boot with is the default?

#5 2021-11-05 18:42:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You booted into a live medium in order to do your initial installation - can't you use that same thing now?

As for describing the symptoms, you say that arch linux appears in the boot menu, but what happens when you select it?  We get that it doesn't boot - but what does this look like?  Does it return to (or stay on) the same menu?  Does the screen flash in any way?  Does any text flash by?  Do you see a blinking cursor?  Etc, etc.  Tell us what you see.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2021-11-05 19:45:16

snackmuncher

d_fajardo wrote:

/dev/sr0 is your CD/DVD drive. Are you trying the live boot from an optical drive?
Have you checked the BIOS if the drive you're trying to boot with is the default?

I managed to boot into a live mint, the issue was with the bios that needed to be updated apparently.
This laptop by default isn't very linux friendly and needs a bios update to work with it.
I updated the bios and reinstalled arch, alas it still doesn't boot.

Trilby wrote:

You booted into a live medium in order to do your initial installation - can't you use that same thing now?

Yeah I didn't think about it, my head defaulted to a live with a gui for comfort.

Trilby wrote:

As for describing the symptoms, you say that arch linux appears in the boot menu, but what happens when you select it?  We get that it doesn't boot - but what does this look like?  Does it return to (or stay on) the same menu?  Does the screen flash in any way?  Does any text flash by?  Do you see a blinking cursor?  Etc, etc.  Tell us what you see.

Nothing happens, screen goes black for a fraction of a second, then same screen.

Also, I found a guide to install ubuntu on this laptop, I know arch is not ubuntu but there's a few bios settings I'll try to follow and see how that goes, if it works I'll post what I did in case somebody else needs help and finds this thread, if it doesn't work I'll come here with an update and more info.

While I'm at it, I'll leave the link I found.

https://github.com/longsleep/t440p-linu … 20HOWTO.md

EDIT:

Well, no positive outcome. It's late here and I'll try again another moment.

Last edited by snackmuncher (2021-11-05 20:35:26)

#7 2021-11-06 06:48:36

snackmuncher

V1del wrote:

What does "doesn't boot" mean? No error messages? Some frequent candidates are a drive configured in RAID mode which you'll want to switch to AHCI or adding the vmd module to your MODULES=(vmd) line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and rerunning mkinitcpio -P from a live disk. Other possibilities are a generally broken EFI implementation, from a live disk and a chroot into the system what are you outpus for

efibootmgr -uv

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services

efibootmgr -uv
EFI variables are not supported on this system

https://pastebin.com/CbiCfp4e

Board footer