You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-08 08:10:04

mjandrews

[solved] Lost all passwords in Chromium, but are still in the sqlite3

Usually in Chromium, if I go to Settings / Auto-fill / Passwords, under Saved Passwords, I have dozens or hundreds of saved passwords. Yesterday, after I open Chromium, these were all gone. However, the sqlite3 file

.config/chromium/Default/Login Data

is still there and using the Python script mentioned here https://askubuntu.com/a/1169965, that db is intact and readable and all the passwords are there safely. It also looks like that db is being read/written still. It was last written to about 10 minutes ago.
Does anyone know of any trick to use to allow these passwords to appear back in Chromium for use when I log in to website?

Last edited by mjandrews (2021-11-08 17:34:30)

#2 2021-11-08 14:43:03

Joel

Re: [solved] Lost all passwords in Chromium, but are still in the sqlite3

Well, I don't know... but if there's a way to do that I will uninstall Chromium for taking security to low about passwords portability.

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with xfce4.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with xfce4.
* AUR contributor.

#3 2021-11-08 15:24:10

seth

The passwords are encrypted w/ a unique key and key and encryted password are stored in the database, it's not a big deal to export them (and chromium actually has this feature)
It's also not getting more secure unless you're using a wallet/keyring where they're stored (iirc base64 encoded) and secured by the wallets encryption.
You cannot feed the passwords out of thin air, if security is a concern, don't have the browser store them.

But afaiu the OP, the problem is that chromium doesn't autofill forms anymore.

@mjandrews, either the URL or form changed (does it affect *every* password or just some sites) or some extension is interfering or there's some stale chromium process.
=> Close all chromium windows, check whether there're still processes lingering around, try to SIGTERM them, then SIGKILL and in doubt reboot.
Then try to disable all extensions and whether that has any impact.

#4 2021-11-08 17:33:08

mjandrews

It turns out it was probably some stale processes. On the advice of @seth, I did a `killall -9 chromium`, and then on restart, the autofill passwords were back.

Board footer