You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-16 02:36:02

makeworld

UPower sometimes keeps my laptop from suspending when I close the lid

I've noticed that sometimes when I close my laptop lid, it doesn't actually suspend, it just locks but stays running. When I open the laptop again, I'm greeted by this window:

Up03O1k.png

I did some research and ended up on the

systemd-inhibit --list

command, which gives this output:

WHO                 UID  USER      PID   COMM            WHAT                                                                       WHY                                       MODE 
NetworkManager      0    root      632   NetworkManager  sleep                                                                      NetworkManager needs to turn off networks delay
UPower              0    root      34617 upowerd         sleep                                                                      Execute critical action                   block
xfce4-power-manager 1000 makeworld 1106  xfce4-power-man handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key:handle-lid-switch xfce4-power-manager handles these events  block
xfce4-screensaver   1000 makeworld 862   xfce4-screensav sleep                                                                      Locking screen before sleep               delay

4 inhibitors listed.

UPower is the only unexpected item, and nothing else blocks except XFCE stuff which I expect, since I run XFCE. When I stop the UPower daemon with

sudo systemctl stop upower

, it immediately starts running again. I believe I read somewhere that it is started whenever a process requests it, maybe over DBus. It makes sense that it's starting all the time, since XFCE uses it to display battery info in the status bar. Anyway, once I restart or stop it with systemctl, the problem goes away, and it doesn't show up in

systemd-inhibit --list

anymore. But eventually it comes back, and so my system will fail to suspend again.

How can I fix this permanently? Is anyone else having this issue?

Last edited by makeworld (2021-10-16 15:09:43)

#2 2021-11-08 23:20:08

xerus

Re: UPower sometimes keeps my laptop from suspending when I close the lid

Today I was confused why my laptop wasn't going to sleep after connecting power after the battery had run almost empty, and found the exact same issue as you did.

#3 2021-11-09 01:45:47

makeworld

Glad it's not just me, I was feeling like I was going crazy. Crazier still, the issue seems to have gone away on my computer, I haven't experienced it for the past week or two. Not sure why it would go away, or if it will come back in the future.

#4 2021-12-17 03:16:15

sheu

I've filed an issue with upower and attached a merge request for a fix: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/upower/u … issues/160

Doing my One Good Deed on the Intarwebs today, c.f.: https://xkcd.com/979/

#5 2021-12-17 03:34:17

makeworld

That's great, thank you. Still not experiencing this issue anymore like I mentioned before, but good to know it can be gone permanently.

#6 2021-12-17 03:46:07

sheu

You have to run into the case where the "critical battery action" gets cancelled, because that's where the leak occurs.  While I haven't reproed this myself, I think you could repro it by almost running out of battery (and getting whatever desktop notification), then cancelling the notification not by user interaction but by plugging into AC power.

#7 2021-12-17 03:56:58

makeworld

Ah, that makes more sense, it must just be that I haven't triggered it again. I was having battery issues that later resolved themselves, which would have stopped me from "almost running out of battery" as you describe. Thanks for explaining.

#8 2022-01-24 18:10:19

sheu

Fixed merged upstream as of a few hours ago, it'll show in your distro... whenever it shows up :-)

Have a nice day!

Last edited by sheu (2022-01-24 18:10:29)

Board footer