You are not logged in.

#51 2021-11-10 18:35:24

zynex

Re: Plasma scaling broken

Got the same problem, and all i needed to do was to edit the X11 setting in /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf. Fixed it for both SDDM and X11.

Mine was
[X11]
ServerArguments=-dpi 0

Just changed the dpi to 96, then the scaling was correct. Thinking of changing to Wayland all in all anyway.

Last edited by zynex (2021-11-10 18:37:03)

#52 2021-11-10 18:37:56

Ammako

Jason P. wrote:

Change is going to be reverted on a patch release next week.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse … te_1153655

Good to know, good on them for doing what's best for users rather than sticking to it just because it's not a bug.

#53 2021-11-10 19:07:52

loqs

Related Arch bug report https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/72661

#54 2021-11-10 20:39:41

mcloaked

I thought I would switch to plasma-wayland as a test but that turned out to be a total disaster - once logged in to plasma wayland the laptop touchpad was not configured for tap to click and needed a bit of work to get some clicks going in the system settings.  Once that was resolved I tried chrome browser - which completely hosed the existing chrome profile - and finally the UK keyboard was not working since the keyboard layout was set to US!  Does anyone know how to prevent those things from happening before logging in to plasma wayland?  Or once logged in how do you change the keyboard layout in plasma-wayland to a UK layout? I have searched the arch wiki but haven't found the answer yet.  Also can you start chrome without hosing its profile if you have been using it in plasma x11 and switch to plasma wayland?  This is not fun.

Edit: It seems you can add keyboard layouts in the system settings for keyboard - but why are the configs different within plasma for x11 and wayland in the first place?

Last edited by mcloaked (2021-11-10 21:10:03)

Mike C

#55 2021-11-12 10:18:51

mcloaked

This issue will no doubt go quiet now that the change that the dpi calculation in xorg-server has been reverted, and everybody will be happy that their displayed fonts and other application graphics will all look fine again.  However in reality the change that was made in xorg was strictly correct and the values passed to the other applications were strictly correct - and the more correct way forward would actually be to put back the correct calculation of the dpi in xorg - and then deal with the consequences of having the proper dpi value in the desktop and make sure all the fonts and other graphics are handled properly in the desktop.  The problem is though that the default settings in the plasma desktop, as well as in other applications have all been developed to cope with the largely incorrect 96 dpi passed from xorg for many  years - and the question is whether the plasma desktop, and any other applications from web browsers to mail clients and other programmes will all have their defaults changed in a future update, or whether users will cope with any change in the dpi value from xorg by manually changing the application font settings.  If you do change all your font settings so that you have the correct display within the desktop when xorg has the correct (non 96) dpi value, then would users then have to change fonts settings again when defaults were changed within the packages?  In this instance the developers of xorg worked independently of the plasma desktop developers, and it would have been less disruption to users if the plasma devs worked in conjunction with the xorg devs so that packages for both could be released at the same time so that for most users their desktops still worked with appropriate fonts on the screen once the xorg change came through for the dpi calculation.

It would certainly be possible to set the dpi value to the correct value for your own monitor and then manually change all the settings so that the desktop, widgets, and all applications worked with sizes on screen that look appropriate - but if you do that and the xorg change in the future is brought back in, then all those changes may then have to be undone or re-done with different settings to get the desktop to display nicely again.

Incidentally after having seen that plasma-wayland did not suffer from this issue at all, I have now swapped one laptop to default login to plasma-wayland which of course meant setting the touchpad and keyboard up for my needs with the keyboard needing a UK layout in my case, and dealing with fixing a broken chrome profile that arose from the change - but it does now work very well, and indeed so well that I will keep plasma-wayland as the default login from now on - and I guess if I changed the dpi value for sddm then it would not matter since wayland does not depend on that.  Perhaps the developers of the xorg system as well as the various desktop and tiling window manager developers will be working with each other to reach a good way forward with fixing the issue of the xorg dpi value calculation, so that the value is correct, and not always the mostly incorrect value of 96, and its consequences.

So I suppose this discussion should move to the appropriate developer mailing lists, and not continue in this forum, at least from a user perspective. There is also useful discussion in the thread at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=271174

Last edited by mcloaked (2021-11-12 10:41:16)

Mike C

#56 2021-11-12 16:32:03

ubone

> everybody will be happy
Not me really. All I had to do was edit i3 config to change 1 digit and run lxappearace, glyphs looked better.

#57 2021-11-12 16:43:39

V1del
Forum Moderator

Well you can still do your own correct DPI calculation and set that on xorg start

#58 2021-11-12 21:30:00

seth

xrandr -q | awk -F '[ x]' '/ connected .*mm/{sum += 12.7*($3/$(NF-3) + $4/$NF); ++outs} END {printf("%.0f", sum/outs)}'

Edit: rounding, missing closing quote
Edit: typo in edit…

Last edited by seth (2021-11-12 21:47:14)

#59 2021-11-12 21:37:55

mcloaked

Possible typo in that command? It doesn't complete for me and gives a prompt.
Edit: yes it is fine now.

Last edited by mcloaked (2021-11-12 21:54:26)

Mike C

#60 2021-11-12 22:12:53

Ammako

mcloaked wrote:

This issue will no doubt go quiet now that the change that the dpi calculation in xorg-server has been reverted, and everybody will be happy that their displayed fonts and other application graphics will all look fine again.  However in reality the change that was made in xorg was strictly correct and the values passed to the other applications were strictly correct - and the more correct way forward would actually be to put back the correct calculation of the dpi in xorg - and then deal with the consequences of having the proper dpi value in the desktop and make sure all the fonts and other graphics are handled properly in the desktop.  The problem is though that the default settings in the plasma desktop, as well as in other applications have all been developed to cope with the largely incorrect 96 dpi passed from xorg for many  years - and the question is whether the plasma desktop, and any other applications from web browsers to mail clients and other programmes will all have their defaults changed in a future update, or whether users will cope with any change in the dpi value from xorg by manually changing the application font settings.  If you do change all your font settings so that you have the correct display within the desktop when xorg has the correct (non 96) dpi value, then would users then have to change fonts settings again when defaults were changed within the packages?  In this instance the developers of xorg worked independently of the plasma desktop developers, and it would have been less disruption to users if the plasma devs worked in conjunction with the xorg devs so that packages for both could be released at the same time so that for most users their desktops still worked with appropriate fonts on the screen once the xorg change came through for the dpi calculation.

Not worth it, because as you've experienced, Wayland is the way forward from now on. Xorg is on end of life maintenance and everyone should hopefully be transitioning over to Wayland within the next few years (touch wood...) No reason for everyone to put so much work into changing their Xorg stuff over to the strictly-correct way of doing things when that'll all be thrown in the trash in the coming years.

#61 2021-11-13 07:35:40

seth

"And the wayland shall set you free"

https://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/ … d_scaling/
https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/3584
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/l … sort_of_a/
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/ … /issues/47

There's no magical solution to this w/o fixing the general mindset about the DPI not being some universal constant.

“Very good, Captain. That was my first assumption, too . . . except that it’s not. Myrkr is, in fact, no more than a hundred fifty lightyears from here—close to our border with the Rebellion and well within the Old Republic’s boundaries.”
Thrawn dropped his eyes to the data card still in his hand. “No, the actual explanation is far more interesting. And far more useful.”
Pellaeon looked at the data card, too. “And that explanation became the first piece of this puzzle of yours?”
Thrawn smiled at him. “Again, Captain, very good. Yes. Myrkr— or more precisely, one of its indigenous animals—was the first piece.
The second is on a world called Wayland.”
He waved the data card. “A world for which, thanks to the Obroans, I finally have a location.”
“I congratulate you,” Pellaeon said, suddenly tired of this game.
“May I ask just what exactly this puzzle is?”
Thrawn smiled—a smile that sent a shiver up Pellaeon’s back.
“Why, the only puzzle worth solving, of course,” the Grand Admiral said softly.
“The complete, total, and utter destruction of the Rebellion.”

#62 2021-11-13 14:45:38

mcloaked

Thank you, seth, for those references. Today I transitioned another laptop to plasma-wayland - for chrome I logged in and set it to sync and left it that way for the transition. There were no issues - and it runs plasma-wayland without any problems.  The only issue that may impact some users is that saved/restored sessions are not supported, but I have started with clean sessions for a long time so that did not affect me. Certainly plasma-wayland now seems very much usable as a day to day desktop for me now, compared to two years ago when there were still too many bugs. So I am happy now!

Mike C

#63 2021-11-13 14:50:59

seth

Well, the point was that the situation on wayland™ isn't actually that much different sad
Wayland™ will then provide the additional obstacle that nobody runs "wayland" but a compositor implementing the wayland protocol "somehow" (reminds of the NETWM situation…)

#64 2021-11-13 15:19:58

mcloaked

I guess that others are also regularly using window managers/compositors that use the wayland protocol, and there may well be some 'small' things that are not yet optimised (how well does sway work I wonder?). Presumably as time goes on there will be more use of non-x11 window managers, and desktops with fewer issues that are showstoppers. I guess that for the most part people are doing so quietly, and working around bugs, providing reports and diagnostics and the developers getting wayland bugs fixed over time, and not posting their experiences or highlighting problems concerning wayland on this forum, even though there is plenty of discussion elsewhere, some of which I have seen.  For me this seems a good time to work with plasma-wayland on a daily basis and hope that it allows me to get through my workflows with no serious impediments.

Mike C

Board footer