You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-10 22:57:07

lykaon

Laptop USB ports won't work

I've been on this install for more than a year and never had this issue. I first noticed the issue with my webcam first (it would randomly disappear from the file system as if I didn't have one, and I would have to reboot for it to temporarily reappear) but I realised it was a more general USB issue when I plugged in my keyboard. It simply won't work. I know it's not a hardware issue. Below is a list of possibly helpful information and outputs.

Hardware:
Laptop: 81LW Lenovo IdeaPad L340-1
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700U with Rade
GPU: AMD ATI 04:00.0 Picasso

$ uname -a:
Linux ----- 5.10.78-1-lts #1 SMP --------------------- x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ pacman -Q linux
linux 5.14.16.arch1-1

Outputs of lsusb, dmesg, et cetera: https://pastebin.com/aqDs3X7q
They've been rather unhelpful

Further information: It most probably happened after an update. I've rebooted & updated again since multiple times. I haven't tried downgrading a package because I don't know which package could be the cause. I'm not sure if it's related, but when I poweroff, the systemd-udevd process won't die at all (I waited for 10 minutes for it, and eventually had to shut it down by force). The problems started at around the same time.

Edit: Right as I was about to finish writing this, the built-in keyboard stopped working, too. Lol. Had to force shut the machine, and now I'm having some X problems probably because of that. I hope you guys can help me out on this.

Last edited by lykaon (2021-11-10 23:01:36)

#2 2021-11-11 03:27:49

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Laptop USB ports won't work

Well, the kernel you have in memory is the LTS kernel (5.10.78).  But you also have the newer main line kernel installed (5.14.16)
What we don't know is

1.  Have you the LTS kernel installed by Pacman? pacman -Q linux-lts
2. What is your boot loader, and how is it configured?  normal kernel or LTS?
3. Have you rebooted since your last kernel  update?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2021-11-11 10:43:35

lykaon

ewaller wrote:

Well, the kernel you have in memory is the LTS kernel (5.10.78).  But you also have the newer main line kernel installed (5.14.16)
What we don't know is

1.  Have you the LTS kernel installed by Pacman? pacman -Q linux-lts
2. What is your boot loader, and how is it configured?  normal kernel or LTS?
3. Have you rebooted since your last kernel  update?

Yes you are correct, I was on lts while writing the post. The problem persists in both the mainline and lts kernels.

$ pacman -Q linux-lts
linux-lts 5.10.78-1

2. I use grub, and I can choose either the main line kernel or lts from it. Both boot normally and both have the same issue.

3. I have rebooted at least a couple times since I last updated the kernel
$ uname -a    # on the main line kernel
Linux ------ 5.14.16-arch1-1 #1 SMP ------------------------------------ x86_64 GNU/Linux

The fact that the problem is the same whether on the mainline or lts kernels make me think it may not be a kernel issue, but I'm not that sure.

#4 2021-11-16 20:26:31

tsh
Website

How did you rule out this being a hardware issue? Did you try booting any other operating system, or a live cd/usb disk?

#5 2021-11-16 22:34:57

lykaon

tsh wrote:

How did you rule out this being a hardware issue? Did you try booting any other operating system, or a live cd/usb disk?

Yes, I did test it and it works fine. For short periods of time it works on my Arch install, as well, so I guess it is a possibility that it's a hardware issue and I just happened to not encounter the symptoms at all while testing it, but I think that's extremely unlikely. I did a lot of testing and it never lasts that long on the Arch install.

#6 2021-11-20 09:37:14

lykaon

This thread is kinda dead, but I'd like to add that I'm now certain the cause is systemd-udevd (it is the module that handles devices). I have no idea what to do from here. Does anyone know how to troublehsoot it? Thanks in advance

Board footer