You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-19 23:06:58

Jeraldson

No package providing LLVM 12 releases since llvm package update

Hey all,

I'm new to interacting with arch things on the forum, so forgive me if there's a better place for this (though I'm not new to arch itself).

The current llvm package updated to the LLVM 13.x.x release from the previous 12.x.x release a few days ago. This might normally not seem like a big issue, but anyone who has used or uses LLVM themselves will know that the versions are quite fickle and are incompatible with each other. This is evidenced by the existence of an llvm11 package that specifically was the previous version of LLVM (back when it was the 12.x.x release on the main package at least). This is also a common pattern in other distros, due to this infamous pattern of breakage from LLVM. But now with the main package on LLVM 13, and only the previous llvm11 package, there's currently no way on arch to obtain LLVM 12 without reverting the update from cache and hoping nothing else breaks.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for from this, as I definitely don't have the time myself to maintain any packages. But I guess it would be good if this can help bring awareness of the issue to the maintainer of the llvm and llvm11 packages (the same person) and lead to an llvm12 package being introduced (eventually). It does seem to me that this is more of an oversight than an explicit choice to not have LLVM 12 be available.

As I said, I'm not a regular in the arch forums community, so any suggestions from here would be great!

#2 2021-11-20 00:12:47

arojas
Developer

Re: No package providing LLVM 12 releases since llvm package update

Jeraldson wrote:

It does seem to me that this is more of an oversight than an explicit choice to not have LLVM 12 be available.

You're wrong in that assumption. Old versions of libraries are only provided in Arch in case they are needed by some official package which can not be ported to the latest version, which is not the case for LLVM 12.

#3 2021-11-20 00:14:31

Scimmia
Fellow

Packages like llvm11 are only made if there's a specific reason for them, like something in the repos that requires that version. Since nothing in the repos needs version 12, no, it won't be getting added. If you want it, you can add it to the AUR.

#4 2021-11-20 01:12:23

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

As stated above, the official policy is to provide only the latest official upstream release of a package whenever possible and only provide temporary alternate versions when they are required for other important packages. As such, this isn't an issue per se but rather a consequence of the rolling release design of the distro.

You can download the previous PKGBUILD and associated files for LLVM 12 by following the source file links from the llvm package page. Following the links leads you here for the last version of LLVM 12: https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-p … 5077/trunk

You can modify those files following the model of llvm11. Otherwise you can request a package in the AUR Issues, Discussion & PKGBUILD Requests forum. Post the links above to provide a starting point for anyone willing to help.

Closing because this is not a package upgrade issue.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer