You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-21 14:05:15

millionheadscollide

[SOLVED] CLI util for editing .desktop files?

Does there exist a CLI utility for editing .desktop files?

I wish to edit properties of .desktop files in /usr/share/applications via a pacman hook

Last edited by millionheadscollide (2021-11-22 11:05:55)

#2 2021-11-21 14:23:19

seth

Re: [SOLVED] CLI util for editing .desktop files?

vim? sed?

I wish to edit properties of .desktop files in /usr/share/applications via a pacman hook

Probably not, I assume you rather want to shadow it in ~/.local/share/applications/ or /usr/local/share/applications/ ?

#3 2021-11-21 15:23:23

Slithery
Administrator

millionheadscollide wrote:

No, you don't.
Make a copy of the relevant .desktop file in either /usr/local/share/applications/ or ~/.local/share/applications/ and edit it there instead.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2021-11-22 11:05:41

millionheadscollide

seth wrote:

vim? sed?

Probably not, I assume you rather want to shadow it in ~/.local/share/applications/ or /usr/local/share/applications/ ?

Slithery wrote:
millionheadscollide wrote:

No, you don't.
Make a copy of the relevant .desktop file in either /usr/local/share/applications/ or ~/.local/share/applications/ and edit it there instead.

Ah, silly me. Reading through https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Deskto … op_entries now...I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Thanks for your replies.

Board footer